Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you share your DPV to an out of gas buddy without a long-hose. :facepalm:
Man this seems pretty remote. CCR fails, buddy burns through all his BO and needs some of yours too. While on a scooter...

I mean you can hand them the bottle, sort of. It's a bit of a cluster depending on how its rigged and what kind of neck bungies you have and what kind of gloves everyone is wearing. And how that all aligns with their attachment system

full

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Seems so utterly pointless.

The bailout's in the normal place on the LHS. Need bailout, you reach back and grab the regulator and pull the hose out. It's a STANDARD 1m/3'3" hose as per any stage cylinder. You then shove the reg in their gob and they breathe. After a short while, you unhook the bailout cylinder, pass it to them and wave goodbye.

Why do you need to complicate CCR with all the OC malarkey?

Seems so utterly pointless.

The bailout's in the normal place on the LHS. Need bailout, you reach back and grab the regulator and pull the hose out. It's a STANDARD 1m/3'3" hose as per any stage cylinder.

When the victim of OOG has lived, you give them the bailout cylinder and wave goodbye.

Why do you need to complicate CCR with all the OC malarkey?
Well I recently started bungee'ing my bailouts, which means they align with my body from below my underarms. It streamlines me, taking less effort to glide through the water. But often the reg can be in a hard to get spot. With the reg clipped off on the right chest D ring, I don't have this instant fear "ohh god, I've got to do a bubble and bail drill, where's my reg, where's my reg" I just grab the right chest D ring.

Well I recently started bungee'ing my bailouts, which means they align with my body from below my underarms. It streamlines me, taking less effort to glide through the water. But often the reg can be in a hard to get spot. With the reg clipped off on the right chest D ring, I don't have this instant fear "ohh god, I've got to do a bubble and bail drill, where's my reg, where's my reg" I just grab the right chest D ring.
Me too. Love the streamlining and control of the bailouts.

It means I reach back and pull the cylinder forwards then reach back for the regulator.

Some people use a bungee loop to keep the regulator close to the 1st stage so it's easier.

But it's not rocket science. Using an open circuit longhose Hog-looped config just seems crazy and massively over-complicates a very simple task, adding risks of a loop tangle.

There's two use-cases for a bailout. For yourself and someone else. For "yourself", one should practice on every dive until it's second nature (and prove it's working at the start of the dive before you need it).

For "someone else" it's pretty much exactly the same except you're handing the working regulator to the other person.

That Hog-looped discussion had a very valuable point for OC safety in the days of octopus "variations". OC is absolutely not the same as CCR which requires different protocols and the Hog-loop seems just plain wrong.

you guys have to remember the configuration requirements of the GUE JJ and the history of how/why it was developed. Of note, I do dive a Meg with the GUE style configuration with a rack and long hose and have for about 5 years now.

The GUE JJ configuration comes out of the RB80 where you stuck an SCR between a set of doubles. You still had doubles on your back and had to have something to do with the long hose which is required in cave diving. No stages, no sidemount bottles, true doubles. The GUE JJ configuration does the same thing albeit with tiny doubles instead of beastly doubles. You still have to have a long hose, and you still have to do something with it.
Also remember that when you are cave diving, OOA incidents are usually not sprung on you because you can see the lights start flashing, but more importantly, if everyone is on a similarly configured rebreather there is a lot of stuff that has to fail before you actually have to share gas.
I won't ever buy a Revo. I won't because it can't go into a rack configuration and I believe that is the best configuration for back mounted CCR's. If you are sidemounting the bailout bottles, then you don't really need to hog loop the long hose. You should still put the short one on a necklace, but the long hose can easily be clipped to the harness and stay stuffed on the bottle.
The Revo also strongly recommends the gag strap which I have no issue with, but it obviously precludes a hog looped donation.
If the Revo became back mountable AND didn't have to be sent in for counterlung replacement, then I would seriously consider it, but those are 2 deal breakers for me and having to send a unit in for something that minor is not acceptable with the type of diving that I do and I am also a huge proponent of the rack for boat and big cave diving.

Don't try to put a figure 8 peg into a round hole, it won't fit. Treat the Revo like it is, which is a very unique unit, and don't try to shoehorn it into another paradigm. Hell, the website says it "Why is the Revo different to every other CCR?", let it be different.

you guys have to remember the configuration requirements of the GUE JJ and the history of how/why it was developed. Of note, I do dive a Meg with the GUE style configuration with a rack and long hose and have for about 5 years now.

The GUE JJ configuration comes out of the RB80 where you stuck an SCR between a set of doubles. You still had doubles on your back and had to have something to do with the long hose which is required in cave diving. No stages, no sidemount bottles, true doubles. The GUE JJ configuration does the same thing albeit with tiny doubles instead of beastly doubles. You still have to have a long hose, and you still have to do something with it.
Also remember that when you are cave diving, OOA incidents are usually not sprung on you because you can see the lights start flashing, but more importantly, if everyone is on a similarly configured rebreather there is a lot of stuff that has to fail before you actually have to share gas.
I won't ever buy a Revo. I won't because it can't go into a rack configuration and I believe that is the best configuration for back mounted CCR's. If you are sidemounting the bailout bottles, then you don't really need to hog loop the long hose. You should still put the short one on a necklace, but the long hose can easily be clipped to the harness and stay stuffed on the bottle.
The Revo also strongly recommends the gag strap which I have no issue with, but it obviously precludes a hog looped donation.
If the Revo became back mountable AND didn't have to be sent in for counterlung replacement, then I would seriously consider it, but those are 2 deal breakers for me and having to send a unit in for something that minor is not acceptable with the type of diving that I do and I am also a huge proponent of the rack for boat and big cave diving.

Don't try to put a figure 8 peg into a round hole, it won't fit. Treat the Revo like it is, which is a very unique unit, and don't try to shoehorn it into another paradigm. Hell, the website says it "Why is the Revo different to every other CCR?", let it be different.
What is a rack configuration? What do you mean by back mountable? Do you mean if you could mount additional bail out on your back?

What is a rack configuration? What do you mean by back mountable? Do you mean if you could mount additional bail out on your back?
Below is my rack mounted Meg. You can see that there are a pair of LP50's that have what is essentially a standard double regulator configuration on them. It now has a manifold connecting the two instead of independent doubles, and the right post has a 40" hose with a QC6 to connect to the dil side of the rebreather. The white bottle on the right is a 3l of O2, and the white bottle on the left is a 3l for wing and suit inflation.
The advantage of this configuration is you are fully contained for everything except deco gases which have to be staged, but the rig itself is fully self contained.

Good article from GUE on their configuration philosophy.

35900563_10160479621050134_1414637668955848704_o-jpg.629557

242385500_10223246447662765_3060581750359087287_n.jpg

Yes. Basically you have a set of doubles on your back with a CCR in between. I'm using a LOLA manifold to join the two LP50s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom