Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s ok if you don’t get it.

When you’re lookin at 6-10hr (or longer) dives, people flying in from literally around the country to support, and diving windows that are days long (not weeks. Days), reliability becomes an important feature. The rb80 accomplishes this while totally eliminating unit-induced hyperoxia.
You have the good fortune to have warm water.

Getting people (divers) to support big dives in 3-6C water is a major challenge. Less support = having to make compromises on other things, like CCR choices. I can get caver support, sometimes if they arent busy elsewhere... Diver support is another level altogether.

Hog looping to have donatable gas when you are the only person at the back of the cave is kinda the least of my issues

You have the good fortune to have warm water.

Getting people (divers) to support big dives in 3-6C water is a major challenge. Less support = having to make compromises on other things, like CCR choices. I can get caver support, diver support is another level altogether.

At the risk of sounding like a bonafide stroke, I'd drive from Norcal to Washington to be support. Been dry caving for years but am a total newb when it comes to cave diving. I'll help carry tanks just to get to go in good dry caves. All the dry caves I know here in NorCal required extensive research followed by lots of hiking and searching with all kinds of false leads just to find them. I figure being a sherpa is worth trading at least a few cave locations. I know I don't give up cave locations for free :wink:

At the risk of sounding like a bonafide stroke, I'd drive from Norcal to Washington to be support. Been dry caving for years but am a total newb when it comes to cave diving. I'll help carry tanks just to get to go in good dry caves. All the dry caves I know here in NorCal required extensive research followed by lots of hiking and searching with all kinds of false leads just to find them. I figure being a sherpa is worth trading at least a few cave locations. I know I don't give up cave locations for free :wink:
You're welcome to join us. This has been an ongoing project with @nadwidny myself and a rotating cast of other savory and unsavory characters for the past decade. We met here through SB long ago, our first RL meeting was at a White Spot in Nanaimo, somehow we still dive together :p
2011 was a rather pathetic learning exercise on OC

2019 was a good year for us

We do expect you to have a long hose, and be able to share gas, exactly how it's stowed is not something we debate with you IRL. Hit me up in PM if you're free at the end of August 2022.

There are a couple other pretty good divable systems, "wet dream" and "tsulton rising" are conveniently flooded to the surface and not especially hard to access, but they are both walled out. They are not secret at all. Wet dream is the closest thing BC has to "drive up FL style access" - hence the name. It's on First Nation land and so far the local grotto has a good relationship with them.

Most of the other diving opportunities are short (solo) and require massive levels of local support. E.g. for a dive last summer in the bottom of "Arch", that took 3 dry cavers 2 days to rig the 280+m of drops (6 drops totaling 280m), then the 1km hike/descent took 3 hours for 7 sherpas + me to get to the water, it took 2 days to get all the dive gear back out. Some other dives/systems require big teams and hiring a helicopter to fly you in. That kind of effort tend to be limited to known grotto locals.

Most of the other diving opportunities are short (solo) and require massive levels of local support. E.g. for a dive last summer in the bottom of "Arch", that took 3 dry cavers 2 days to rig the 280+m of drops (6 drops totaling 280m), then the 1km hike/descent took 3 hours for 7 sherpas + me to get to the water, it took 2 days to get all the dive gear back out. Some other dives/systems require big teams and hiring a helicopter to fly you in. That kind of effort tend to be limited to known grotto locals.

One word: Epic

- brett

For a start there’s no central isolation manifold which in OC is the first valve to shut down to preserve gas (although I was taught in Fundies to close the right post first).
Have you done any training beyond fundamentals?

Sorry I should have been more specific, with GUE?
No.

But do dive a rebreather to MOD2 levels. Most, i.e. virtually all, rebreathers carry bailout cylinder(s) which they would donate from should another diver need it — without having to come off the loop.

No.

But do dive a rebreather to MOD2 levels. Most, i.e. virtually all, rebreathers carry bailout cylinder(s) which they would donate from should another diver need it — without having to come off the loop.
I think that's why you don't understand the GUE valve drill though... The operative word is "drill" if you refer to the valve manual (currently version 2.2) there is a section titled "General Trouble-Shooting Procedure" which does not say "right->center->left"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom