Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are you feeding your BOV with the choptima?

Didn't say I was feeding a BOV. Is that standard GUE configuration for a JJ? The diagram on the INDEPTH page linked shows a DSV.

That said I am working on it. It's just kinda project #237 on my ever growing personal project list.

ETA: I'm trying to behave and build up hours in the stock configuration before I go messing with it. Also, want to make sure I have actually thought through my ideas before I do something stupid or post pics of it on the internet and get flamed.

@lostsheep
Sidewinder requires a wonky backplate setup to be used with doubles which is possible as it's been done, but it's weird and puts the bottles noticeably farther off your back.
Choptima would have a really strange long hose routing.

The true sidemount rebreathers actually work best with the DIR setup as they clip in like a stage bottle *though a left side loop bungee is preferred and is easily added in a minute to any backplate*. I regularly use my KissKat with DIR style doubles, or singles for that matter.

Instead of wrapping the extra slack of the long hose under my battery canister or one of my long hose keepers, I wrap it under the bottom of the Chop, it works fine. I'm sure there's other ways to stow the excess.

Regardless, how you stow the extra hose doesn't change the fact you can donate without coming off of the loop and that was the only point I was making.

Didn't say I was feeding a BOV. Is that standard GUE configuration for a JJ? The diagram on the INDEPTH page linked shows a DSV.

That said I am working on it. It's just kinda project #237 on my ever growing personal project list.

ETA: I'm trying to behave and build up hours in the stock configuration before I go messing with it. Also, want to make sure I have actually thought through my ideas before I do something stupid or post pics of it on the internet and get flamed.
On the JJ a BOV is a mixed bag, some do some don't. You'll think it would be embraced and standard yet it is not. Never heard a good explanation for that. BOV definitely SOP on the RB80.

Don't have a choptima but there are really only two truly dumb CCR ideas. Pushing questionable cells and routing BOVs off 2 or 3L dil bottles. We're not gonna flame you for experimenting or showing what you're trying.

The person that responded to this with a funny reaction is exactly the person it’s most directed at.
On the JJ a BOV is a mixed bag, some do some don't. You'll think it would be embraced and standard yet it is not. Never heard a good explanation for that. BOV definitely SOP on the RB80.

Don't have a choptima but there are really only two truly dumb CCR ideas. Pushing questionable cells and routing BOVs off 2 or 3L dil bottles. We're not gonna flame you for experimenting or showing what you're trying.

The person that responded to this with a funny reaction is exactly the person it’s most directed at.

No fooling??

I thought it was funny for, one, "we're not going to flame...".

And, two, because I weigh "what people on the Internet told me" against "how a MOD3 CCR instructor (not the one I did my MOD3 with mind you), who also is a regular on some pretty serious deep wreck expeditions, trains people". And I laugh when "people on the Internet" call me stupid when I do what an actual heavy hitter instructor teaches.

I'm not going to get into the game of dropping names or anything like that. I'll just leave it at "this is an Internet forum. Lighten up, Francis."

:D

No fooling??

I thought it was funny for, one, "we're not going to flame...".

And, two, because I weigh "what people on the Internet told me" against "how a MOD3 CCR instructor (not the one I did my MOD3 with mind you), who also is a regular on some pretty serious deep wreck expeditions, trains people". And I laugh when "people on the Internet" call me stupid when I do what an actual heavy hitter instructor teaches.

I'm not going to get into the game of dropping names or anything like that. I'll just leave it at "this is an Internet forum. Lighten up, Francis."

:D
I have no idea what this has to do with stowing long hoses (under/over/other) with a choptima or any other units since you don't seem to actually use one.

I have no idea what this has to do with stowing long hoses (under/over/other) with a choptima or any other units since you don't seem to actually use one.

Absolutely nothing.

I guess you missed the post I was responding to that directly alluded to me. I don't know what that had to do with stowing long hoses or a choptima, either.

For the benefit of non chest-mounted Optima people and the majority who’ve never seen one in the flesh…

As a chest mounted box, i.e. on the front, not back or sides, will the loop hoses always be in front and thus — should someone backmount a twinset with longhose and necklace hung backup — the longhose won’t be trapped?

BTW how many RB80 semi-closed range extender were made?

Im assuming stuarts response was the reference was to hooking up your BOV to your onboard dil - if I remember correctly this is how stuart has his set up

BTW how many RB80 semi-closed range extender were made?
Counting all the various clones? quite a few, at least 500 units, possibly as many as 1000+

Im assuming stuarts response was the reference was to hooking up your BOV to your onboard dil - if I remember correctly this is how stuart has his set up
And its still a stupid idea which continues to be propagated even by some "big names" which as the trimix thread elaborates on, aren't necessarily any good. One of the worst CCR and cave instructors in the entire SE USA has written numerous books and gets tons of speaking engagements. Their students reliably come out of class with terrible habits and skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom