Hog vs Hollis etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeronca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to replace some stolen gear. So I no longer have my beloved Hollis dc2-212. Found a few online on sale at a smoking good price, although they are din. Have also had my eye on the Aeris Ion and there are some of them online for a great price as well. My wife has a mares proton metal that I really like because of its compact size, but it just doesn't breath as nice as my Hollis did, but it and the aeris ion second stage are about the same size so that and the price are what interests me there.

Which brings up the Hog. Read great reviews and it seems like a company I would really like to do business with but I am curious about a few things. I don't have easy access to one to put my hands on and I was wondering about the size/weight of the second stage. I have dove the Scubapro g250 and it felt sort of big and clunky in my mouth compared to the Hollis, so I am wondering if the Hog is a larger second stage as well?
And the Din thing. I am not currently doing any tech stuff, but am interested in getting into that sort of thing in the future so having a din reg would not be a bad thing, I was just wondering does the damn thing poke you in the back of the head with a yoke adapter?

Most of my diving for the next year or so would be warm water destinations, probably not any tech stuff for a while.
Thanks for any info!

As far as the yoke adapter goes, depending on your configuration, it can be anything from an annoyance to invisible.

I weighed the Hog Zenith at around 350 grams.

you may not even need the adapter (take it anyway) but more and more diveshops have DIN tanks, just contact them ahead of time

and, no, doesn't poke you in the head if you need to use the adapter

Most of my diving for the next year or so would be warm water destinations, probably not any tech stuff for a while.
Thanks for any info!

Because of the above, yoke connection will be better for you. After all what is the point of dinif the yoke adaptor is attached 100% of the time.

as for hollis dc2/212 and hog, I have had both. Hog 2nd stage is built a better with more use of metal. So dry weight is also more. In water, I don't notice any difference. Personally, I think 212 is very low quality I will never buy one again.

I dive both regs..and I dive DIN...The main difference between din and yoke connections, is the connection. DIN is much more secure and can handle higher pressures. Most new valves comes with a convertible valve, with an insert to make any din a yoke..

I have dived the yoke adapter many times, if you do not use a back plate, but a standard jacket BC, you probably wont ever have to worry about a head poking.

The HOG second stages are almost identical to a Diverite hurricane or a Apex T20

Because of the above, yoke connection will be better for you. After all what is the point of dinif the yoke adaptor is attached 100% of the time.
Unless you have a talent for picking the strangest dive ops available, you won't even get close to 100%. It's good to have the adapter with you 100% of the time, just in case, but many times you won't need it, even down south.

Unless you have a talent for picking the strangest dive ops available, you won't even get close to 100%. It's good to have the adapter with you 100% of the time, just in case, but many times you won't need it, even down south.

A yoke adapter. I have two. is in each my reg bag and my save a dive kit... A buddy missing his/hers still affects my dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom