Hog vs Hollis etc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the only comparision I can personally attest to is price (HOG wins), I dive HOG exclusively and am very happy with their gear

I was just wondering does the damn thing poke you in the back of the head with a yoke adapter?/QUOTE]

Yes..... just before it sucks out your brain.

So your saying, no serious side effects?:D

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 01:39 PM ----------

Yeah I don't think it will matter that much if its din, if it isn't then I get to buy a new reg when I need to go that route, if not just use the adapter. I was more worried with banging into the back of my head. Well that and getting the brains sucked out, but I will be using a Zeagle Express Tech (which I haven't been able to try yet) so thats sort of a backplate system so was wondering why you said " if you do not use a back plate, but a standard jacket BC, you probably wont ever have to worry about a head poking."
And thanks for the info.

I dive both regs..and I dive DIN...The main difference between din and yoke connections, is the connection. DIN is much more secure and can handle higher pressures. Most new valves comes with a convertible valve, with an insert to make any din a yoke..

I have dived the yoke adapter many times, if you do not use a back plate, but a standard jacket BC, you probably wont ever have to worry about a head poking.

The HOG second stages are almost identical to a Diverite hurricane or a Apex T20

I have become a big Hog fan. I found that Hog regs perform as well or better than the so-called "name brands". The wrinkle is that Hog offers that top brand quality for prices far, far lower than name brand.
These days, I dive exclusively Hog regs....both din and yoke.

I'd love to offer a bit of insight:
My singles yoke setup is the DC3/212. It is a fantastic breather, and works wonderfully. The build quality seems very good, although I did have some hose failures from the hollis flex braid hose. Other than that, the things are perfect. I got it in yoke, but wish I had gotten it in din, and am considering buying the part to swap it out to din. An adapter is easy to use.

I also have the D1s, with the classic second stages, and have used the zenith second stages. Honestly, they're fantastic regs. They are heavier built, as mentioned, and are very friendly to those who want to service the regs themselves (may not be an issue for you, but the tech folks love this fact). They are adjustable, and seem to breathe very well. I never feel short of breath with either set, and I've had them both to 100ft or so in the past few months.

Comparisons:
It's likely tuning, but the hollis seem to breathe better. I do find that they tend to free flow more easily in direct current, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. They are incredibly comfortable, and the set is cheap ($200 for the DC3-212). I do not regret buying them.

The hog is likely the same price (because the hollis is environmentally sealed, so adding the seal adds $20 to the hog). They are simple regs built bullet proof, and I like having them.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom