Hog for Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all of your weigh is your plate and tank, other then adjusting your tank, what other trim options exist that don't make you overweighted?

Tank Positioning: Move it up, or down, to change your trim.

Choice of equipment: Floaty/Heavy fins etc

Body Positioning: How you hold your arms and legs, will effect your trim.

It's very true that, if you need six pounds and put them on the front of you, they will function as a keel and make you less likely to roll. On the other hand, it's quite possible to learn to balance the tank comfortably in a horizontal position. With a negative tank, you will never be able to roll over 45 degrees and remain stable without finning. This was actually one of the things that utterly delighted me with the sidemount setup (double tanks) I was fortunate enough to get to swim around for a while. There, you have moved the negative tanks to where they perfectly offset one another, so you can "bank" into any position you want.

Yes, to be clear, I was able to balance it in a horizontal position with the weights in the back. It was when I decided to try to hold other positions such as 45 bank with complete relaxation that I could feel the tank rolling me. Moving the weights to the front has helped with that. I was also doing tests such as tucking my head down and raising it to pitch up and down. I think my trim is pretty good now but without a really good buddy and/or camera in the water it's hard to see what I need to improve.

I think at this point I'm pretty comfortable with my rig now. I took it for three more dives today and found myself able to clip and unclip the SPG somewhat easily. I find a picnic table to do wonders for sliding in and out of it. I'm not really twisting up my webbing anymore and my hoses seemed to be tamed.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure how this turned into a "can you swim it up" discussion. I know I can swim it up, what I don't know is if my trim will be good.

If all of your weigh is your plate and tank, other then adjusting your tank, what other trim options exist that don't make you overweighted?

I really only stated that because I did not want someone looking at it and thinking "Heck, he says I can just throw on a steel tank and go!" I did not want someone to get the wrong idea. I was not insinuating that you could not swim the tank up.

Anywho, it appears that Devon and the nice lady have answered your other question. Sounds like you are getting some good practice and making some good progress. Keep it up.

I've owned this thing for a whole week now.... but one thing really bugs me and I'm pretty sure it is a pain for others.

If you want to do anything to the left side of the harness, you have to take the buckle off. A traditional weight belt would have almost no reason to ever remove the buckle as all work would be done from the other end. But with a harness there can be situations where you need to remove the buckle to add or remove something.

Has anyone come up with a better mouse trap? Obviously it'd have to be bullet proof simple and strong but I'd think some technique to have strength and ease of service.

To be honest with you, I've never thought about it. I've never had to "do anything" to the lefthand side of my harness, other than to replace the inner tube loops for my backup lights. And since I put a couple of spares on each time, I have to do that VERY rarely, and not enough to irritate me. What else would you do with your harness, once you get it set up? You can move the left hip d-ring around without taking the buckle off.

All you need on the left side is a dring on your hip and a dring on the shoulder. The little bands can be slid on and off without removing the buckle.

I guess it's the "once you have it setup" part that's bugging me. I don't have the experience to know exactly what I want and to do it only once.

even to move the d rings around, you dont need to unthread the harness

I guess it's the "once you have it setup" part that's bugging me. I don't have the experience to know exactly what I want and to do it only once.

What are you doing this weekend? I teach at a local shop and am the head of a (probably the only) local "DIR" dive club. A couple of us will be at Windy Point on Sunday, likely in the afternoon. If you wanna meet up and dive, we can square your rig away.

I know you're little leery of DIR/GUE, but why not meet and dive with some of us local DIR guys? I promise we don't bite, and we can get your stuff set up correctly.

Hit me in PM if you want to link up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom