Hog for Rec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, my Hog D1 does have a down facing LP port. DRIS didn't choose to use this when they assembled my rig for me. I've made the switch and dig a bubble check. I also added some sea snips to my belt where the canister would go to help give the hose something to hook around. BTW my hoses are just basic rubber. Not braided or milflex.

I'll keep trying the left seam for the SPG.

Going to Lake Travis tomorrow so we'll see how ready I am.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. I place my SPG just behind my hip bone. Works well for me.

Have fun with the new gear, and do come back and ask if there are any issues. You have a lot of people here who have gone through the "new backplate and harness" fettling stage!

So my dive went pretty good the other day. I needed a little help during the buddy check to make sure all was in order but otherwise the rig dove will.

I'm now wondering about getting a steel tank. I'd have no ditchable weight ( not too concerned about that ) but I'm wondering if I'd have any trim/balance issues with all my weight on my back and none in the front.

You should not have any issues at all. I never have any weight on my front side. I don't dive with ditchable weights.

Guess I need to spend some more time in the pool then. When I was working on my weighting I was trying to hold various positions while completely relaxing and it seemed like my tank would roll me if I didn't put the weight I needed up front.

Imagined? Real but not critical?

If the tank is rolling you over, you need to work more on a stable platform -- this really has more to do with having a big negative object sticking out of your back, than with where your weights are. You had to learn to ride a bicycle; learning to dive is more learning to allow the bicycle to ride you :)

Maybe we could chat on the phone sometime about this to go into detail.

I had not dove in a couple of years and never in a BP/W before. (Transpac a few times though back around 2004.) I was in the pool for a couple hours with a deflated wing (water came pouring out after the dive ) in about 4' of water. I was figuring out what I needed to be neutral at 500psi and working on holding various positions to see how my trim and balance was.

With my 6lbs in the rear I could comfortable hold a horizontal position but if I put my self into a bank and relaxed the rig would want to roll. With the 6lbs in the front I could put myself into a bank and seem to roll much less. Maybe I need to get in the water again to confirm.

Sounds like James is telling me it's no worry and to just get the steel tank.

Well, I would not say just go get a steel tank and forget about it. I am saying it works for me with no ditchable weight. If you can swim up your rig from the bottom, then I would not worry about it. If it is to much to swim up from the botom, then you would want ditchable weight. With a single steel tank, it should not be a problem though.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure how this turned into a "can you swim it up" discussion. I know I can swim it up, what I don't know is if my trim will be good.

If all of your weigh is your plate and tank, other then adjusting your tank, what other trim options exist that don't make you overweighted?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom