HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one of the way I see the tech requirement. HOG regs have a two year service interval, as a rec diver you probably have only one or two sets of regs. If only are overhauling one set of regs a year or one set every two years it is not enough to keep your skills up. Most tech divers I would assume would have a min of four reg sets(2 back gas, 1 stage, 1 deco) and probably more so you will be doing a couple of overhauls a year. I don't think you could get by the tech cert thing either as the class is run with a TDI cert at the end, I'm pretty sure they would want to see all of the paperwork. I just signed up for the HOG repair class at Beneath The Sea that is run by DRIS and one of the requirements when you show up the day of the class is copies of your tech certs. If I had only one set of regs I don't think I would be taking the class as it is not inexpensive. The HOG class is $250, My ScubaTools order for specialty tools was $250, and Beneath The Sea is a four and a half hour drive for me so I'm figuring around $75 in fuel so I'm up to just under $600 for the class. I'm an auto tech by trade so I already have all of the industry standard tools and only needed the reg specific tools, I also already have the reg savvy book. If I didn't have some of the necessary items already I'd be around $800 for the class. I'm a tech diver with seven sets of regs and I'm also kind of a control freak so I don't want other people touching my stuff, hence I'm taking the class. This is an undertaking that I don't think would be worth it for a diver with only a couple of reg sets.

This is one of the way I see the tech requirement. HOG regs have a two year service interval, as a rec diver you probably have only one or two sets of regs. If only are overhauling one set of regs a year or one set every two years it is not enough to keep your skills up. Most tech divers I would assume would have a min of four reg sets(2 back gas, 1 stage, 1 deco) and probably more so you will be doing a couple of overhauls a year. I don't think you could get by the tech cert thing either as the class is run with a TDI cert at the end, I'm pretty sure they would want to see all of the paperwork. I just signed up for the HOG repair class at Beneath The Sea that is run by DRIS and one of the requirements when you show up the day of the class is copies of your tech certs. If I had only one set of regs I don't think I would be taking the class as it is not inexpensive. The HOG class is $250, My ScubaTools order for specialty tools was $250, and Beneath The Sea is a four and a half hour drive for me so I'm figuring around $75 in fuel so I'm up to just under $600 for the class. I'm an auto tech by trade so I already have all of the industry standard tools and only needed the reg specific tools, I also already have the reg savvy book. If I didn't have some of the necessary items already I'd be around $800 for the class. I'm a tech diver with seven sets of regs and I'm also kind of a control freak so I don't want other people touching my stuff, hence I'm taking the class. This is an undertaking that I don't think would be worth it for a diver with only a couple of reg sets.
At issue here is not whether the cost of taking the class, anticipated number of overhauls per year, or the number of regs owned makes it "worth it" for the student.

The problem, which has been articulated time and time again in this thread, is that tech certification has absolutely nothing to do with reg repair.
Official reg servicing techs for other reg brands do not have to have tech certification. What makes HOG regs so special?
Imposing a tech certification prerequisite on the HOG reg repair class makes no sense at all.
If TDI/the HOG manufacturer wanted to ensure that students in the reg repair class were well prepared for learning the servicing procedures, they should have put in place a relevant class prerequisite, e.g., taking a pre-test on reg design/function based on the "Scuba Reg Savvy" book.

I understand that TDI is a tech instructional agency. TDI must offer at least one introductory tech class (Intro to Tech Diving 101?) that has no tech cert prerequisite. Such a class presumes no previous tech cert/training. The HOG reg repair class should be offered similarly (without tech cert prerequisite).

Please understand that similarly minded recreational divers prefer to exert a high level of control over their regs. In fact, I'd argue that all divers would benefit from learning about how their regs function. Not only does this give the diver insight into troubleshooting reg issues but it also helps direct how he/she conducts pre-dive reg function tests. Enhancement of pre-dive gear checks is an extremely valuable side benefit.

Unfortunately, the tech cert prerequisite precludes motivated, mechanically-minded recreational divers from enrolling in a HOG reg repair class.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the tech cert prerequisite precludes motivated, mechanically-minded recreational divers from enrolling in a HOG reg repair class.
And plenty of motivated, mechanically minded students are turned away from taking classes at MIT each year too... I guess I'm missing the point here.

Their organization, their rules.

-B

And plenty of motivated, mechanically minded students are turned away from taking classes at MIT each year too... I guess I'm missing the point here.

Their organization, their rules.

-B
Yes, you've completely missed the point...

...and your metaphor fails on many different levels. We're not talking about a college admissions process here. We're decrying the arbitrary nature of a tech cert prerequisite for a reg repair/servicing class.

HOG/TDI has a right to set the prerequisites for a class offering. The prerequisites can make sense or not.

Customers and prospective customers have a right to point out that those prerequisites are irrelevant.

If HOG and TDI persist in policies that annoy customers, then the companies risk alienating their customer base and eventually losing customers.

You know, I'm really sorry this thread has gone the way it has. I posted the original account to describe the class; how long it took and what we did.

I honestly don't think there are very many people who want to service their own regulators, and as someone pointed out, if you have one reg and it requires service every two years, it will take a LONG time before you would break even on the cost of the class and the tools. Those of us who own 19 are in a slightly different situation.

I think everyone's objection to Chris's policy has been voiced here. May I ask that, if that particular discussion is to continue, that someone start his own thread in which to do it? It was not my intent to have this one go that way.

You know, I'm really sorry this thread has gone the way it has. I posted the original account to describe the class; how long it took and what we did.

I honestly don't think there are very many people who want to service their own regulators, and as someone pointed out, if you have one reg and it requires service every two years, it will take a LONG time before you would break even on the cost of the class and the tools. Those of us who own 19 are in a slightly different situation.

I think everyone's objection to Chris's policy has been voiced here. May I ask that, if that particular discussion is to continue, that someone start his own thread in which to do it? It was not my intent to have this one go that way.

TSandM, this is your personal oppinion and you're entitled to it.

However, all I want to add is this:

I have one regulator (maybe buy a 2nd in the future).
I certainly want to service my own regulator.
I don't care if I break even, it's not always about the money (knowledge is worth more than money)
I am a technical person.
I do not have a "tech" certification

And I think that there are many people like me...

I don't care if I break even, it's not always about the money (knowledge is worth more than money)
I am a technical person.

...then the answer is pretty easy. Just get one. There seem to be many certifications that are deemed acceptable, are not prohibitive in terms of cost and would probably serve you very well in your diving career.

Based on my knowledge, no other companies allow divers to service their own regs unless they fall in the category of trained technicians and employed as such. It may not be the giant stride that satisfies everybody but it is much better than the status quo...

Lynn, thanks for starting this discussion! DRIS may be doing a repair class at the Long Beach Scuba Show in May and my name is on the books. As someone who has 8 regulator sets (6 of which HOG) I'm deeply interested in being able to service my own equipment and also down the road I may be involved with remote expeditions so it is a critcal MUST for me.

I enjoyed reading the class report and much look forward to taking the class myself.

@TSandM: Can you point to any specific information/knowledge gleaned from your multiple technical diving classes that helped you to successfully complete the reg repair class? I have no interest at all in taking a tech diving class, but perhaps I am missing out on some critical knowledge that might improve my understanding of how a reg works or how to troubleshoot reg issues.
I contend that there are a significant number of HOG customers (or potential customers) who lack tech certifications yet are interested in learning how to service HOG regs. In this thread alone, there have been 4 or 5 posters who seem to fall into that category. As has been already discussed, saving money on biennial overhauls is only one of several factors which might motivate a diver to learn how to DIY-service his/her regs.

On a side note, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you obtained the Vance Harlow book from Chris himself.
Is HOG selling that particular book now?
If so, it would make perfect sense to me. That book is a wonderful reference for a person learning how to work on regs.

Last edited:

I am a technical person.

I am one of those.
Go for it ,man!
All you need is an knowledgeable and experienced technician/diver to show you the way. I did it and never look back.
If HOG sets such a high bar, try Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom