HOG Equipment service class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And conversely, I can't see a disinterested, non-mechanically inclined, non-detail-oriented recreational diver being the least bit motivated to spend all that money and time for a class, so they probably wouldn't bother.

I have, however, seen plenty of kids decide a 60k mile service doesn't look that hard, only to have their car towed to a shop with spare pulleys everywhere. I once basically wrote off my car when I screwed up a $100 routine service, and my mechanic was a champ about helping me out with that. Before I knew anything about cars, I did a brake overhaul straight from a Haynes manual before I could even drive my first car. However, these sorts of things led me towards my engineering degree and the automotive field. Had I gotten my first car after I had a job, I would have probably gotten one that worked and taken it to a mechanic as necessary. I understand setting a minimum bar; I also understand the need for hobbyists to tinker; I also understand that a parts availability program is not necessarily for the betterment of today's youth.

This is the thread where the class was introduced-
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/edge-gear/308976-edge-hog-annouces-industry-first.html

Theres some discussion on the topic there.

Bear in mind that Chris and TDI have opened a door with this class, prior the the Hog repair class you had to be sponsored by a shop or distributor in order to attend a regulator repair class. The fact that they've limited the offering at least initially to the folks that they feel will have the best chance of succeeding is something I consider a smart move. They haven't set the bar all that high, advanced nitrox from pretty much any agency will open the door for you. If that's too much for you then at least for now you'll have to wait.

TC:
They haven't set the bar all that high, advanced nitrox from pretty much any agency will open the door for you. If that's too much for you then at least for now you'll have to wait.
Advanced nitrox has nothing to do with regulator repair/servicing.
The instructional agency should have set the bar with a relevant requirement.
Perhaps reading "Scuba Regulator Savvy" and taking a straightforward test on the material would have been more appropriate.
At least then, the manufacturer and instructional agency wouldn't have to make the ridiculous argument that an arbitrary "tech certification" is necessary for a person to successfully service scuba regulators.

TC:
They haven't set the bar all that high, advanced nitrox from pretty much any agency will open the door for you. If that's too much for you then at least for now you'll have to wait.

I hear what you are saying about advanced Nitrox not being a "high bar." However, in the thread you linked to (which was also linked in post #18 of this thread), the requirements were set higher than that by cerich (GUE Fundamentals tech pass -- which requires backmounted doubles -- or an Intro to Tech from another agency).

If I had known about the Nitrox prerequisite, I might have taken TDI Nitrox instead of the "regular" Nitrox class I did take. Now I would probably choose something else since I already have the basic knowledge, and lots more to learn.

I might take Fundamentals, but if so it will probably be in a single tank, and thus I would not even be in the running for a tech pass. I don't see myself taking Intro to Tech.

I have found another reg class that doesn't seem to have a prerequisite. However it does not seem as appealing because it covers additional (non-reg) subjects that only someone who wants to work at a shop would probably need. Basically, buying a couple of sets of HOG regs and taking their class would have been pretty sweet and tailored to what I wanted/needed.

Last edited:
I have, however, seen plenty of kids decide a 60k mile service doesn't look that hard, only to have their car towed to a shop with spare pulleys everywhere. I once basically wrote off my car when I screwed up a $100 routine service, and my mechanic was a champ about helping me out with that.

Fair enough, but would those kids buy new regs, new service kits, spend $200(?) on tools, and then travel to a ($200+?) regulator repair class? (Not the ones I knew.)

So now we have a scuba manufacturer dictating instructional prerequisites. That makes very little sense to me.

Is the same standard (tech certification) demanded of official reg service techs for other brands of regs?

I fail to see what tech diving has to do with reg service and repair (other than the fact that tech divers use regs, just like the rest of us).

I apologize for belaboring this point. Ever since I was made aware of it, this prerequisite has puzzled me.
Totally agreed.
I can't see the link between servicing a reg and one's ability, knowledge etc etc (or lack of it) on scuba training.
It is absolutely illogical.

Totally agreed.
I can't see the link between servicing a reg and one's ability, knowledge etc etc (or lack of it) on scuba training.
It is absolutely illogical.

It makes perfect sense to me! HOG is catering specifically to technical divers so it requires some kind of voucher that you're technically inclined!

It makes perfect sense to me! HOG is catering specifically to technical divers so it requires some kind of voucher that you're technically inclined!
Inclination has nothing to do with diving qualification.
I am pretty sure there are plenty recreational divers who are more technically mind than most so-called technical divers(me included).
I know a few Apeks and ScubaPro technicans who are not technical divers. Are you suggesting that HOG is far more complicated than the top of the range Apeks and ScubaPro?

I do not think that is their view. They are catering to Tech Divers so they are setting their standards to them nothing more. If you wish to train to service them do what they require. They could be like the other companies and not allow you to service theirs..... I would recommend everyone to quit debating and trying to get them to drop their standards and just meet the requirement. He'll I am nitrox but not the one they want so I will do e training and conform so I can attend the class.

I agree that the technical diving requirement to take the service course is more of a marketing decision than a serious attempt at determining qualifications for working on regulators. Although there certainly is some crossover in the community of people that have both interests, nobody would seriously contend that one skill is an indicator of the other. I suspect HOG is trying to somewhat gingerly buck the tradition of parts/service restriction while maintaining an image of 'responsibility'. After all, for decades the dive gear industry has tried to brainwash the public into thinking that regulators are 'life support' and therefore working on them correctly is critical to our survival. Of course, they haven't mentioned the fact that the 'qualifications' for working on this gear are nothing more than employment at a dive shop...and I suspect that most 'professional' regulator techs at scubapro, aqualung, etc...dealers have zero technical diving qualifications. And one of the WORST scubaboard posts I have ever seen on regulator function was written by a cave instructor.

Anyhow, as HOG goes against this industry tradition, it's to be expected that they would have some concern about the appearance of carelessness and liability, even if they're completely right on the issue.

I also suspect that any truly interested diver wanting to take this course without the pre-req could appeal and be let in, but I can understand not wanting to publish that policy.

I was nosing around on caveadventurers the other day and saw a special on a HOG balanced piston first and balanced barrel poppet second stage w/hose for $179. If I didn't already have way too many regs....

Back
Top Bottom