Hog Classic Reg Adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, it sounds to me more like the LP seat has taken a "set" If I didn't have a inline tool handy I would just unscrew the second stage from hose, insert allen key in oriface (the thing uyou see when you look in the hose inlet on the second stage that is hexed for a allen key)and turn it about an 1/8 of a turn clockwise, put hose on, put reg on tank turn on the air and see if it fixed it, if not would do another 1/8 turn and try again. 90% of the time that would fix it. If it didn't at that time I would start to consider all the rest of what is posted above.

When you hear hooves, unless on safari I assume horses, not zebras

Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I was looking for. If the simple adjustment does not work then I will look at getting it fully serviced. I appreciate the level of support you provide.

Got my IP gauge and checked both of my Hog D1 first stages. They both went to 140psi upon charging and after hitting the purge on my secondary they both dropped 135psi and locked up right there. So I would say it is safe to assume my D1s are well within spec and locking up good. I did adjust the second secondary that was having the dribble as Chris said and will test it next weekend. I held down the purge button as I adjusted the orifice in an 1/8 of a turn. If that does not work I will try another 1/8 of a turn and then possibly a new seat. Thanks.

YOU'RE GONNA DIE!
we all do. That said I am pretty sure I can service a HOG reg OK... not sure why I would but I digress...

The octo second will dribble a little air as if it is ever so slightly over pressurized. It will do this regardless of where the dive/pre-dive lever is and regardless of the position of the adjustment knob. It is annoying more than anything and breathes fine when in use.
Perfect timing! I came here just now with exactly the same problem on a nearly new Hog Classic 2nd. This thread will help. I'm off to check the IP, my 1st stage is a vintage Conshelf.

Update: IP is steady at 140psi, drops to 130 on purge.

Last edited:
well, it sounds to me more like the LP seat has taken a "set" If I didn't have a inline tool handy I would just unscrew the second stage from hose, insert allen key in oriface (the thing uyou see when you look in the hose inlet on the second stage that is hexed for a allen key)and turn it about an 1/8 of a turn clockwise, put hose on, put reg on tank turn on the air and see if it fixed it, if not would do another 1/8 turn and try again. 90% of the time that would fix it. If it didn't at that time I would start to consider all the rest of what is posted above.

When you hear hooves, unless on safari I assume horses, not zebras

Worked like a champ! Did exactly as you said and took it down to 107' this weekend in 52* water and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I was looking for. If the simple adjustment does not work then I will look at getting it fully serviced. I appreciate the level of support you provide.
If you've gotten this far you can easily rebuild the second stage yourself with a low investment in parts (Have brass picks?). I have the manual if you need it but these things are so simple it's amazing that more people don't service their own regs.

Dave

I am looking at taking the reg class from my local LDS next month. Needless to say I am very excited as that was the whole reason I bought HOG regs..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom