Hockey bag for dive bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of buying a hockey bag with wheels to use as a dive bag for travel and on the boat. I'm thinking of something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-6K-Hockey-Wheel-Bag/dp/B000G3IQ0W/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4/002-9071490-9881656

B000G3IQ0W.01-A1IB6ZSJX5ILW4._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66405761_.jpg

It's cheap at $50, lightweight at 3# (shipping weight) and looks big enough so would there be any reason not to get one? Also, does anyone know a cheaper place than Amazon to order similar bags?

Amazon has a bunch of other hockey bags on offer too, but their shipping weights tend to be suspiciously high.

I think I,ll Do the same. Maybe try to punch a hole in the bottom for drainage.
Also it doesn,t advertize that there is expensive dive gear inside!

The one possible issue with a bag like that (besides drainage, already mentioned) would be, does it collapse enough to fit under the bench seat on the boat? If you have to leave it in the aisle so that everyone trips over it, it won't make you popular!
Other than that it looks functional.

Decided to bump the thread as this is the exact hockey bag I use. (RBK 6K Wheeled Hockey Bag - 40 Inch - 2008)

Was wondering if any other hockey bag users have traveled recently via airline and if the size was an issue?

I traveled with my hockey bag in Dec 2007 before the luggage restrictions became tighter and had no issues (the dimensions are 40 x 18 x 16) . Was wondering if it would be an issue now. TIA.

Last edited:
I use a similiar hockey bag - non wheeled - for travelling with my dive gear. It works well and I don't have any issues with airlines, as recently as last month with Continental. I don't travel with my usual dive gear bag as I have had gear stolen while in the possesion of airlines, so the plain hockey bag disguises it. The only issue you may have is that it is not designed to interact with salt water, so you will find the metal bits rust. Other than that, it should be fine. I use it to get my gear to my hotel room. After that I use one of those big mesh packpacks that are made for dive gear - much more compact on a diveboat, and more convenient, too.

I use a similiar hockey bag - non wheeled - for travelling with my dive gear.

I do the same, works great and its light.

Got my daughter a good quality hockey bag as her travel gear bag. Works great, and adds little weight. The one downside is 2X now the airline has pulled it aside as "oversize luggage", and it arrived on a later flight one of those times.

cheers thanks guys.

I left the bag in the Philippines and will be returning to pick it up along with my free diving fins.

Got my daughter a good quality hockey bag as her travel gear bag. Works great, and adds little weight. The one downside is 2X now the airline has pulled it aside as "oversize luggage", and it arrived on a later flight one of those times.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm hoping as long as I make weight restrictions it would be acceptable. It won't make dimension restrictions (60 inches total dimensions), but hoping that they would be more lenient on that and not break out a tape measure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom