Hmm, eh, new rules in CZM about traveling with MJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely, people should not dive after drinking or ingesting TCH. What's interesting about this article is that DAN advocates that THC be 100% out of your system before diving. I would bet that plenty of us have been on the same boat with people who have THC in their system since it can remain there for many weeks. Having the same threshold for alcohol (100% out of your system) and THC does not make sense.
Well, what did you expect DAN to say? If they said that it's OK to dive X number of hours after ingesting an illegal (still, in most places) drug, and someone following that directive got hurt for any reason while diving, they could be on the hook. The safest thing for them to say is that it and every other potentially impairing substance should be totally out of your system. It certainly doesn't mean that THC still dangerously impairs a diver weeks later.

I am totally in agreement that no one should dive stoned or drunk (or on Xanax, muscle relaxers, LSD, or <insert psychotropic drug name>). I think I mentioned earlier that a forum member (different forum) asked me to help him find a way to get nitrous oxide into his diving gas - I didn't, of course. But the effects of excessive drinking the night before are far more pronounced the next morning than getting high on MJ. I have been out diving many times with obviously hung over divers, mostly in Cozumel; I think it's a bad idea and I just do my best to stay clear of them. I am not the Dive Police.

Last edited:
Some of you folks watched "Refer Madness" to many times! LOL!

Would you mind if I referred to that statement as an alternative fact?
It's at least potentially a fact, depending on how much was there to begin with. It doesn't mean that the person with it in their system is stoned for weeks, of course, but blood and urine testing can indeed potentially detect it for weeks, since it is oil soluble rather than water soluble and leaches out of the body very slowly.

Well, what did you expect DAN to say? If they said that it's OK to dive X number of hours after ingesting an illegal (still, in most places) drug, and someone following that directive got hurt for any reason while diving, they could be on the hook. The safest thing for them to say is that it and every other potentially impairing substance should be totally out of your system. It certainly doesn't mean that THC still dangerously impairs a diver weeks later.

I am totally in agreement that no one should dive stoned or drunk (or on Xanax, muscle relaxers, LSD, or <insert psychotropic drug name>). I think I mentioned earlier that a forum member (different forum) asked me to help him find a way to get nitrous oxide into his diving gas - I didn't, of course. But the effects of excessive drinking the night before are far more pronounced the next morning than getting high on MJ. I have been out diving many times with obviously hung over divers, mostly in Cozumel; I think it's a bad idea and I just do my best to stay clear of them. I am not the Dive Police.

From what I can tell, we agree with each other.

Would you mind if I referred to that statement as an alternative fact?

Ha! Nice one. Umm, no you may not. THC remains in the system for quite a while, depending upon a person's use. It doesn't mean the effects of the THC are still occurring. It simply means that there is a detectable amount of THC in the body.

From that article: "One poll found that about 66 percent of Mexicans oppose decriminalization of marijuana."

That's not surprising; drug traders, primarily those dealing with marijuana, are responsible for a great deal of the violence and intimidation inflicted upon Mexican citizens. But the reason for it is due to the fact that it is illegal to possess, transport, and sell MJ. Participants in the trade have no recourse but to take things into their own hands to protect the revenue streams that the trade generates. Make no mistake; it's all about the money. The reason that marijuana and the violence are linked is that MJ is illegal.

This is old news. The gang activity in Mexico these days is reminiscent of that in the United States during the days of alcohol prohibition. You cannot legislate successfully against the existence of a marketplace, and if you try, this is what you get.

Last edited:
Agreed, re: drug industry geed. But shouldn't some blame be laid at the FDA's doorstep? They're the ones that gave Pfizer another ~8 years to support Pfizer's "research" that just doesn't pass my sniff test.

FDA doesn't have anything to do with patents. Congress gives the agency rules to follow (which are very favorable to industry) and the agency must follow them. Patents, though, are USPTO.

3. Do without / Rely on the hospital for emergencies. (My understanding is they require full payment before they will treat even life threatening conditions for Americans - I've had no personal experience).

Bottom line, it's a less than ideal situation all around. Pick a risky option or don't go.

Not true! I was admitted then spent 5 days at Medica San Miguel with Dengue hemorrhagic fever. The hospital did not demand payment before I was admitted. I did get a bill I had to pay in full at discharge. I paid it, submitted my bill to my US insurance company and was reimbursed. Very grateful the hospital was there to help with my emergency!

Back
Top Bottom