hitting head when using BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about this "valve" turned off thing... Once it's opened and then closed again how much air can possibly be left in the 1st stage and hoses? I'd guess very very little.

Maybe my wife and I are just damn lucky to have had the instructors we did during both our certifications. Originally certified in Mexico we got our AOW in Hawaii. Both instructors had the same "basic safety rule" which they preached and made us practice over and over.

The rule was: Before getting in the water press both purge buttons to ensure the valve is open, put air in your bladder so you have some flotation and then the reg in your mouth and breath from it.

If someone does that how could you possible jump in with a closed valve? BTW: if someone is checking to make sure valves are open just before you enter the water but accidently closes it, you are still okay if you've followed the basic safety rule because you have air in the bladder for flotation and you've taken a few breaths from the reg.

Wern't you all taught that way? Wouldn't that be DIR?

Spoon:
that happened to me before taking my dir classes luckily i was able to swim to the surface after dropping 5 feet:)

I've heard of someone sitting on the side of a small boat getting suited up and being knocked in the water by a wave with his air off and drowning. If he could have reached his reg...

It may be the marine equivalent of an urban legend, but why argue against this. Is it not better to be able to reach your regs than not, for whatever situation may develop?

"I've heard of someone sitting on the side of a small boat getting suited up and being knocked in the water by a wave with his air off and drowning. If he could have reached his reg..."

I don't think a person should be certified unless they can tread or float for 30 minutes and swim at least 0.5 miles in good form in 30 minutes or less---preferably back to back. If a person can swim then that makes drowning diffucult and if they are taught Doff And Don then they could have doffed their gear and turned the air on and then donned the gear. I think it generally best to turn the air on upon installing the regulator and prepping for dive---not after you are in the water or sitting on the side of the boat. Good swimmers rarely drown and my opinion is that most divers I see cannot swim sufficiently well. This is one reason old time scuba instruction went on for weeks---swimming skills and stamina were part of the instruction. N

Nemrod:
I don't think a person should be certified unless they can tread or float for 30 minutes and swim at least 0.5 miles in good form in 30 minutes or less---preferably back to back. If a person can swim then that makes drowning diffucult and if they are taught Doff And Don then they could have doffed their gear and turned the air on and then donned the gear.

From PADI FAQ:

7. Do I have to be a great swimmer to be certified as a PADI Open Water Diver?

No. You need to be a reasonably proficient swimmer and comfortable in the water. You must swim 200 metres/200 yards nonstop, without a time or specific stroke requirement or a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel. You'll also perform a 10 minute tread/float

Not making any point here. I just found the swim requirement interesting.

It would be better to be able to reach the valve than not to be. I sure wasn't arguing that point. I'm talking about the person who jumps in thinking the value is open when it's not.

It's sorta perplexing that valve manufacturers don't design the values so that it's easier?

radinator:
I've heard of someone sitting on the side of a small boat getting suited up and being knocked in the water by a wave with his air off and drowning. If he could have reached his reg...

It may be the marine equivalent of an urban legend, but why argue against this. Is it not better to be able to reach your regs than not, for whatever situation may develop?

mattboy:
Ummmm, it's definitely not a good reason; I don't understand how this relates to my idea of turning the tank around; the valve is just as acessible.
This was in response to someone asking why it's important to be able to reach the valve, not a reason against turning the tank around. There are a number of ways of ending up in the water with no flotation and your air not on.. in fact, I believe it happened to one prolific Scubaboarder recently.

That's enough for me. What a ridiculous, preventable way to drown.

As for turning it around, you expose the first stage and hoses to damage a great deal more, you effectively shorten all of your hoses by a few inches, and it's just.. ugly. It's an inelegant workaround, not a solution.

jonnythan:
There are a number of ways of ending up in the water with no flotation and your air not on.. in fact, I believe it happened to one prolific Scubaboarder recently.

That's enough for me. What a ridiculous, preventable way to drown.

If you wouldn't mind how about the questions I asked you a few posts back?

Also, It would be helpful and educational to know the "number of ways" you mention above and a brief decription of them.

Someone turns around on the deck and knocks you off while you're gearing up.

"Helpful" DM turns your air off, and 1/4 turn back. Breathing a 7' hose it takes several breaths to empty the hose, and 1/4 turn on it can "refill" just fast enough to survive a couple of pre-dive checks but not give you nearly enough air once you get in the water, particularly if you're doing a hot drop with an empty BC.

These are just off the top of my head and I'm kind of in a hurry to get out of here.

Does that answer them?

The idea is that it's plausible and happens. I sure as heck don't want to drown 10 feet down because I can't get my valve.

jonnythan:
Someone turns around on the deck and knocks you off while you're gearing up.

Oh, I see.

jonnythan:
Breathing a 7' hose it takes several breaths to empty the hose

7' is pretty long and also non standard... with a standard length hose how many breaths do you think one would have?

jonnythan:
particularly if you're doing a hot drop with an empty BC.

Obviously I'm not a TECH diver but what situation requires one to do a "hot drop?"

jonnythan:
The idea is that it's plausible and happens. I sure as heck don't want to drown 10 feet down because I can't get my valve.

I suppose anything that's plausable will eventually happen reguardless of the precautions one takes.

Don Janni:
Obviously I'm not a TECH diver but what situation requires one to do a "hot drop?"
A dive in a current where you need to get to a certain spot (like a wreck)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom