Hit the Right Inflator Button - Save a Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biggest problem we have here, are all those airtrims airlifts and whatever they call them.
Only solution here would be,If you see one,go see and ask how it works.

Taking a Rescue coarse it occurred to me that a big part of the rescue is inflating someone else's BCD. Knowing which button to push saves seconds. So my question is: with all the different types of inflators out there how do you garuntee hitting the right button the first time to inflate someone else's BCD in a rescue?

Just don't hit the outside most button-----please don't....You'll send em to the bottom

Octo/inflators don't have an end button nor does my Scubapro BPI!!! But these all have one button aligned with the LPI hose that does inflation. And then there is the Aqualung elevator lever.:confused:

.........."Going Up!!!!!"..........

Some are different, the round button is the inflator and you push in on the mouthpiece to orally inflate or manually deflate, you can also pull on it to deflate.

DSCN1000.JPG

I ended up in the water once with a guy whose inflator had colored plastic PLATES for control surfaces. I learned that day how important it is to check over your buddy's gear BEFORE you get in the water, including inflators, weight systems, and releases.

Or you could just dive with standardized equipment . . . :D

Some are different, the round button is the inflator and you push in on the mouthpiece to orally inflate or manually deflate, you can also pull on it to deflate.

DSCN1000.JPG

question, what's the advantage of diving this rig??

That rig almost looks like something Bizarro from the old Superman comic books would dive with. I guess that's Poseidon's attempt at a safe second??

I think in most cases one would use their BC to bring up both divers. Most BC's have a LOT more lift than necessary, so it is less likely that one would have to use the victim's inflater to get them to the surface. Actually depending on the depth of the rescue, it is likely one would have to RELEASE air from the victims BC.

Once on the surface inflating the victims BC becomes important. You can either figure it out if need be at that time, or a better solution is to review your buddies gear PRIOR to the dive. Most inflates are similar in design, but I've seen some strange ones.

In OW they teach you the value of KNOWING your buddies equipment. In Rescue this is stressed as well.

That rig almost looks like something Bizarro from the old Superman comic books would dive with. I guess that's Poseidon's attempt at a safe second??
Bad guess, way off base, try again.

The reg. in the pic. is an Oceanic Omega II

I have such a thing somewhere with a Mares Beta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom