Hit in WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think the chances of an uncontrollable ascent from a deep depth are pretty slim due to loss of weighbelt.all you need to do is vent your bc. and if it were to happen to me id slap myself for being a moron when i got to the surface then head back down for in water recompression.

California Diver:
i think the chances of an uncontrollable ascent from a deep depth are pretty slim due to loss of weighbelt.all you need to do is vent your bc. and if it were to happen to me id slap myself for being a moron when i got to the surface then head back down for in water recompression.

wow...guess you've never tried it....or you wear a dry bag suit w/no undergarment...or better yet...nothing on at all.....not a chance here up in the northwest.....

Stirling:
Well, there's nothing magical about 15' for a safety stop; it can be done just as well at 20' and especially if you need to hang on a line from a boat that is moving up and down pretty good, you might prefer to stop at 20' instead of 15'. There are lots of people who do their stops at 20' all the time.

true, but proper diving skills maintain neutral bouyancy is to be had at all depths, why would you want to be positive from 20 ft and shallower....expansion injuries are most likley to happen in the 0-20ft area....

California Diver:

There are all sorts of reasons including loss of weight(s) or equipment, being underweighted at the start of the dive so as the tank(s) empty you become more buoyant, leaky inflator valve, stuck exhaust valve, too tight belt (air trapped in feet), becoming inverted and unable to correct, being narced and not realizing that you need to vent air, or being unable to figure out why you can't vent.

In fact, if the suit starts to get away from you, it's really easy to go from 60 feet to the surface in way less than a minute.

That's why it's really important to be able to vent the suit in a hurry if the sh** hits the fan.

were talking depths of 130 ft and deeper, due to loss of weightbelt, stuck inflators is a whole other issue.

i know people that have forgotten their weightbelt and have had no problem staying down at depth, if you have a belt on and drop it deep you would dump all the air out of your suit and bc, and im pretty sure youd be negative, at least id be with twin lp72s

by the way my weightbelt only holds 10 lbs to begin with.

Turtle Diver:
How is a dry suit better than a wet suit if you accidently drop your weight belt? A dry suit is more buoyant, so you'll ascend faster.

Drysuit more buoyant than 7 mil wetsuit? What kinda drysuit are you talking about?

California Diver:
i know people that have forgotten their weightbelt and have had no problem staying down at depth, if you have a belt on and drop it deep you would dump all the air out of your suit and bc, and im pretty sure youd be negative, at least id be with twin lp72s

by the way my weightbelt only holds 10 lbs to begin with.

Are you skin diving???

I wear a neoprene dry suit w/neoprene hood and neoprene gloves, and a 95 steel tank, and wear 36 lbs to be neg on the surface....

forgetting your weightbelt is safe diving...i'm sure....

Back
Top Bottom