Hit in WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle Diver:
How is a dry suit better than a wet suit if you accidently drop your weight belt? A dry suit is more buoyant, so you'll ascend faster.

My dry suit is less buoyant than my wetsuit was.

But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don't drop your weight belt.

Web Monkey:
A drysuit is better because you can grab the neck seal and vent the entire suit very quickly.

Terry

I'll buy that in theory. Has anyone actually done this in an actual unplanned ascent?

I think a lot of people dive with more weight in their drysuit because they are either weighted wrong or using the drysuit wrong.
In 20 feet (500psi) of sand drop down and vent all the air out of your drysuit and bc and check your weight. I started diving with 24lbs + BP with my drysuit. I now generally use 10lbs + BP, and I could drop 6lbs but I find that I need more air in the drysuit after a 1.5 hour dive so I keep it on. I really should just buy a 400g

Turtle Diver:
I'll buy that in theory. Has anyone actually done this in an actual unplanned ascent?

I tried it at about 40 feet (not unplanned - just for experience), and it works great. I also tried it in the pool during drysuit class.

As long as your neck is the highest point in the suit, the air dumps pretty much immediately and the suit starts to fill with water, which is quite unpleasant, but I suspect a lot better than rocketing to the surface.

The suit vents pretty much immediately and you become much less positive.

Terry

ShakaZulu:
Another reason to throw the intergrated BC's in the fire and dive with a BP/W setup.

I don't believe dissing one piece of equipment or another is appropriate in this day and age, because people learn to dive with an almost infinate combination of gear. I feel a bp+w isn't a setup for me because I use my full bladder bc to support me in any number of positions underwater. That doesn't allow me to say bp+w is stupid. Its just another option, as is with any other piece of gear out there.

Whats important is that people are intimate with their gear, and know its function under any circumstance. If not, get with an instructor and learn.

Also, their gear should be well maintained and clean. This helps to avoid sticking valves and the such. If there is any suggestion that something doesn't work properly, or isn't moving correctly, don't dive. Fix the problem first.

Remember, if you are at 60 feet, you can't come up instantley if there is a problem, so you have to anticipate problems,and failure to do so can lead to trauma, or worse, death.

Burner:
I think a lot of people dive with more weight in their drysuit because they are either weighted wrong or using the drysuit wrong.
In 20 feet (500psi) of sand drop down and vent all the air out of your drysuit and bc and check your weight. I started diving with 24lbs + BP with my drysuit. I now generally use 10lbs + BP, and I could drop 6lbs but I find that I need more air in the drysuit after a 1.5 hour dive so I keep it on. I really should just buy a 400g

Checking your weight at 20 feet does nothing to help you stay neutral at 15 ft for your saftey stop, unless you don't do safety stops....

Not to do the "how great a plate and wings" are thing but.... my crotch strap will keep my weight belt from leaving when needed.

diverDano:
Checking your weight at 20 feet does nothing to help you stay neutral at 15 ft for your saftey stop, unless you don't do safety stops....
Well, there's nothing magical about 15' for a safety stop; it can be done just as well at 20' and especially if you need to hang on a line from a boat that is moving up and down pretty good, you might prefer to stop at 20' instead of 15'. There are lots of people who do their stops at 20' all the time.

I am not sure why she lost her weight belt but when I travel I always check the belt that is given to me. I pay special attention to the buckle. If it has a plastic buckle which most rental shop and dive boats use I change it out for a spare metal buckle I thread onto my webbing before the trip. Of course I need to make sure that I take the buckle with me at the end of the trip. I have found that the metal buckles are nore secure than the plastic well-used ones.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom