Hit in WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamebug, I don't know of anyone who has ripped a drysuit underwater, but I know a
bunch of folks that have torn a seal putting them on (inc. me), and not quite zipped it
all the way (inc. me). Torn? NO.

Price is a valid consideration.

The key is to not loose your weightbelt at depth.

And make sure you aren't as buoyant as a bubble if you do. There are lots of ways
to accomplish this: SOME weight in the integrated pockets, backplate, various other
forms of weight on the BC.

ur correct if you don't lose the belt it is not a problem the question then becomes how much should be ditchable/fixed tomuch and if a total lack of bouyancy happens you could run into trouble, though i can easily swim up my gear i wonder if it is advisible to have to much weight fixed

Chuck Tribolet:
Flamebug, I don't know of anyone who has ripped a drysuit underwater, but I know a
bunch of folks that have torn a seal putting them on (inc. me), and not quite zipped it
all the way (inc. me). Torn? NO.

I actually know two people who have ripped their drysuits under water (one on a deco dive too). Buoyancy loss should normally not be THAT drastic and manageable though.

Another reason to throw the intergrated BC's in the fire and dive with a BP/W setup.

ShakaZulu:
Another reason to throw the intergrated BC's in the fire and dive with a BP/W setup.

???

For a torn drysuit?

I don't get it . . .

Terry

Tollie:
I’ve begun to think that the problem is not so much with the weight belt as with the amount of weight you must carry to offset the buoyancy of a 7-mil suite. Perhaps a better approach is to dive dry. Dry suites are more stable in their buoyancy characteristics that are 7 mil suites, they keep you warmer are a ton more comfortable and are more flexible in terms of water temperature. If a weight system fails and you are dry you will have a bit longer to react than if you are in a 7 mil.

In short I think 7-mils are inherently less desirable pieces of equipment for cold water diving than are dry suits.

How is a dry suit better than a wet suit if you accidently drop your weight belt? A dry suit is more buoyant, so you'll ascend faster.

Turtle Diver:
How is a dry suit better than a wet suit if you accidently drop your weight belt? A dry suit is more buoyant, so you'll ascend faster.

A a pacific NW Diver I have to agree. In fact most people use MORE weight when they switch to a dry suit. I find this especially true for those using a shell suit. Personally, I dive the same weight in a single 7mil suit as I do in my 5mil neoprene dry suit. I am sure there are exceptions, but I don't know of any experienced divers who dive less weight when going wet. I have seen it with new student who started out wet and over weighted, who would have reduced weight as a result of skill improvement anyway.

On the other hand:
Just last week my wife had an uncontrolled ascent in her USIA Dry suit. The cause: the inflator button stuck and sent her rocketing up. It contiued to stay stuck, and would not release on the surface either. She had to disconnect the whip. Luckily, this only occurred at the end of the dive at about 18ft. Which brings up another point:
In the event of an uncontrolled ascent while wearing a drysuit, caused by the dry suit or loosing your weight belt- PULL OPEN YOUR NECK SEAL. This will flood the suit, release excess air and give you some water weight to help slow you down.

A drysuit is better because you can grab the neck seal and vent the entire suit very quickly.

In a few seconds, it can go from very buoyant to almost neutral. The down side is that you'll be cold. The up side is you'll be alive and healthy.

Terry

Turtle Diver:

Back
Top Bottom