Hijacking! How good are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I did. :)

Although I was really referring more to one specific thread that moves very quickly. That is more like a sprint, where here it is more like a liesurely stroll that lets you enjoy the scenery a bit. :)

I like that analogy sometimes it gets busy enough here too.... my problem is I never want anyone to feel left out or ignored.... learning to use multiquote and do faster posts makes it a lot easier

Have you heard of Piccinny Ponds.... it is supposed to be a world famous cavern dive very restricted accesss

Funny how many things are World Famous that only the locals know about:shocked2:

I like that analogy sometimes it gets busy enough here too.... my problem is I never want anyone to feel left out or ignored.... learning to use multiquote and do faster posts makes it a lot easier

Have you heard of Piccinny Ponds.... it is supposed to be a world famous cavern dive very restricted accesss

Funny how many things are World Famous that only the locals know about:shocked2:

No, I can't say that I have. There are one or two sites that I've heard about but can't recall what they are now.

hmm trying to google it... thought there might be pics.... found this reference... mentions Fishrock too....looks like we might be invading the rock again next year... maybe you can join us????

Some of images captured with the clunky contraption would still make diving enthusiasts drool today. "This was taken at Piccinini Ponds, which is in the middle of a paddock- you'd never know it was there."
And many didn't. Warren and his friends were some of the first to dive the limestone crevasse in outback South Australia, which is now listed in the National Geographic's top 12 scuba dives in the world. "The water was so clear and pristine and it went down for hundreds of meters."
Fish Rock is also recognised as one of the worlds best dive spots and one of the best places to see grey-nurse sharks, whales and coral. Warren is modest about a lot of his achievements but he knows he and his mate were the first to ever scuba dive under the now famous rock. After spearing a groper they followed it into a cave.
What they saw now draws thousands of tourists to Fish Rock every year. Fish, grey nurse sharks, gropers, lobsters and gorgonian coral. "It was like swimming into an underwater cathedral".

Sounds very cool!

You have to be cave certified to dive the Ponds it is supposed to be pretty amazing... we know of a dive op that is willing to "bend the rules" for the right people but we aren't willing to dive with an op who is willing to break safety rules. You can snorkle the surface but need permits and certification to scuba dive the pond. This guy has been known to take snorklers and divers in and let them swap roles when no one is looking...

Fishrock is pretty much guided.... they take you on a check out dive and if you are ok they will have you go through with a guide. The only touchy bit is the chimney. you have to go single file through it but the rest is wide open and pretty hard to mess up.

Hmmm. Have to be cave certified. I could probably handle that. :wink:

The most amazing thing about Fishrock to me is that it was originally explored by breath hold divers! They found the deep entrance first 24M.... found the chimney and went up it and found the bubble cave. They explored more from the bubble cave. Then they found the shallow entrance 14M explored it and found the bubble cave... and explored more from there. They managed to find the second bubble cave and recognize that it was the one they found from the deep entrance.... put 2 and 2 together and explored the whole cave.... Stunning to think of someone ummmmm (stupid) brave enough to do that. If I go into a dark hole I really want to know where it goes and have some air on my back!

Hmmm. Have to be cave certified. I could probably handle that. :wink:

yeah no doubt:rofl3:

I have heard it is pretty incredible I would love to do it because of the descriptions I have heard but not enough to get certified just for that dive. Fish doesn't like enclosed spaces and I would rather dive with him and take pics of the life so don't see me getting into cave diving really altho your description had me enthralled:blinking:

Well, I'll certainly keep it in mind if I ever get out that way!

oh so you aren't here yet.... you managed to work out your place to stay and all that? You will have to give us a report on what it was like... I bet CaveDiver would love it....

Yes I am staying with my friend Andrew, he is not too far from the conference :) I will try to give a good report though I am mainly going to the wreck talks, not the cave ones, sorry CaveDiver!

We went to some presentations today at the Maritime Museum..... some interesting information. Talking about Darwin and the exploration of Australia and the botanists ... the last speaker talked about how they are mapping the oceans now and methods used to study the life in it.

Oh that would be interesting! I love watching shows about ocean life but it is a bit hard having no TV :(

Good Morning Sas. Saw your video (At least I think it was yours), very nice!

Thanks!

Anyway, I am off to bed as I have to get up at 3.45am for my flight (gotta pick a friend up and so on). Hope you get a dive in tomorrow Petunia! If you get bored come by Oztek! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom