Higher-end 2nd stage, on lower-performance 1st ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm considering a little parts juggling and was wonderring something. Would there be any real advantage (or disadvantage) to putting a Scubapro D350 2nd, on a (older model) Brut 1st stage? The D350 is currently just a spare part gathering dust, and I'm wondering if there'd be any discernable difference with the better 2nd, on the rental-grade Brut 1st stage ?
Thanks.......

Last edited:
Put it on and give it a go. The most important issue will be tuning the first and second to work togather. I have a few regs that have the same brand first and second, they all play nice togather if you introduce them properly. My experience is in an extended rec range, not tech diving.

Bob

I wouldn't call the Brut lower performing. It's a balanced piston, too. So just like every manufacturer out there, the differences are mostly on the ANTSI machine. If the IP is stable throughout the range of tank pressures, and it gives adequate flow for your depth of diving, I think you're fine.

Now as for adding a D-350 to your setup, that's an improvement ANY TIME! Great second stage and the coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve allows VERY LOW cracking effort and almost any position in the water. My favorite reg for effort, with Atomic my second choice for reliability and consistency. The D's can be a little finicky with tuning. So I teach with Atomic and personally dive with D's.

I wouldn't call the Brut lower performing. It's a balanced piston, too. So just like every manufacturer out there, the differences are mostly on the ANTSI machine. If the IP is stable throughout the range of tank pressures, and it gives adequate flow for your depth of diving, I think you're fine.

Now as for adding a D-350 to your setup, that's an improvement ANY TIME! Great second stage and the coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve allows VERY LOW cracking effort and almost any position in the water. My favorite reg for effort, with Atomic my second choice for reliability and consistency. The D's can be a little finicky with tuning. So I teach with Atomic and personally dive with D's.
Yes, you win anyway by using a D on a balanced or unbalanced 1st.....
But only the latest Brut 1sts like the SRB9110 are balanced, all the the older models like the the SRB2100 or the classic SRB5100 are unbalanced piston 1sts.
And also the SRB9110 balances so lala between full tank and 500psi.
You have to expect a drop of 6 - 13psi, still a bit better than the MK17/11, but not very good.......:)

BTW, this is an earlier Brut, one of the unbalanced ones. But now I think I'm going in another direction entirely. I mounted the D350 on a recently rebuilt MK10-G250, as it's......octopus (GASP!!:D ), and pulled the Brut 2nd stage that I had on that one as an octo. Now I'll install that Brut 2nd, and on the Brut 1st ( a near-mint unit I scored real cheap, and is on the way). That way there'll be no potential inter-racial strife or drama whatsoever !!
Many thanks to all for chiming in........

I know, right? :yeahbaby:

Back
Top Bottom