High Pressure Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelvkwok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During the very early stage of my diving, I bought my BCD and regulator set from a local dive shop. At that time, they recommended me to slim them down by use a airsource 2 so I don't need an octopus. And a small pressure gauge with 18" high pressure hose running above my left shoulder instead of under and attach to my left hip. It was loosely tied with my inflator hose in order to keep its position. I have use this configuration for quite some years and I like it because I don't need to reach for the gauge every time I read it. Just a glance will do. And it does not cause any trouble for me to move the inflator hose around such as release air.
I wonder if any potential problem having this configuration set up?

So your primary 2nd stage hose-length and how are you currently routing this? Asking because if you are using a shorter reg hose as your primary over your right shoulder and your octo is airsource 2, this will be an uncomfortable set up in the event you need to donate your air to another diver. Your local dive shop definitely has good intentions for streamlining but if you're diving with a buddy, most folks may not have this setup so you'll need to brief them on your personal scuba configurations.

@Capt Jim Wyatt has been doing that for years

I will say I am a staunch believer that the Air2 actually makes a rig less streamlined and has all sorts of other issues, but the SPG doesn't bother me and I have it set up that way on my doubles

it's a public picture of Jim from 2009 ish, but I know he's been doing it longer than that

37125_1516818193783_4464626_n.jpg

Call me old school but I prefer having my manual SPG on my left hip D-Ring via boltsnap.

Call me old school but I prefer having my manual SPG on my left hip D-Ring via boltsnap.

That’s not old school.

As Tom says, there are far too many drawbacks of Air2’s, just visualize sharing air and doing an ascent and think of how difficult it would be. SPG? I think it’s fine, except if it smacks your face when you go to your Air2.....

As Tom says, there are far too many drawbacks of Air2’s, just visualize sharing air and doing an ascent and think of how difficult it would be. SPG? I think it’s fine, except if it smacks your face when you go to your Air2.....
Ha! Smacked in the face with an SPG is not the way I want to go. Another option I sometimes use is to route my SPG underneath left arm clipped off to chest D-Ring. I'll sometimes use this method if I need to monitor my air much more conservatively. If I'm just causally diving a shallow reef, I'll just have it clipped onto hip D-Ring.

Now I don't use an Air2 - and I don't plan on starting doing so.

But if you have a reasonable length elephant trunk, and a reasonable length low pressure hose going to your normal second stage it's no harder than a traditional setup.

And for the vanishingly rare chance that a recreational diver will actually have to do this - I really don't think it's actually a real problem even if it was mildly inconvenient. If anyone has one of these in the UK and is willing to lend it I'll put that to the test... I could attach it to a long elephant trunk and then try ascending whilst donating my primary.

For diving doubles, I started with my SPG clipped to my left waist, then under my arm to my chest. I finally switched to a short hose over my left shoulder. I liked it that way the best by far. Now, I'm all AI and don't have an SPG on any of my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom