High end drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy is seeking advice about what undergarments he should get for his new drysuit. I know what I would recommend, but I wanted to get advice from others, too.

First off: SoCal is as cold as he will ever dive. If he ever goes colder, he can deal with getting something warmer at that time.

Second: Comfortable and stretchy is the name of the game. The nylon-coated jumpsuits (like most thinsulate suits) restrict motion too much, IMO.

Currently, he's looking at the DUI PowerStretch 300, and I think it's close to the best game in town for this category. But I've read a few scattered references to the Fourth Element undergarments from some hard core cold water divers, and surprisingly, they're a lot cheaper, too! Has anyone used (and thus directly compared) both? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Up here in PA and Jersey coast, most of the guys I know are diving different versions of the 200gm undies. I have a buddy that uses the BARE 200gm Thinsulate and is plenty warm in all sorts of weather. I would use a 300gm during the winter.

Although I've got my own insulation, too.....

I have the Fourth Element socks. I wanted to see the constuction and warmth before dropping that kind of money. I will definitely be ordering the top and bottom as soon as I can afford it. They are very thin and flexible. The socks that is.

You might look here.

They are cheap and warm. I have a set of the thickest (antartica) and never got cold for multiple 40-60 minute dive in 40's/50's water.

The 4th Element stuff is wildly popular up here. I have the socks, which are fabulous, and Peter has the top and bottom. I couldn't switch to them because of fit issues.

The great thing is they seem to be very warm, and they are very washable, which is a HUGE advantage over the Thinsulate garments.

CompuDude:
My buddy is seeking advice about what undergarments he should get for his new drysuit. I know what I would recommend, but I wanted to get advice from others, too.

First off: SoCal is as cold as he will ever dive. If he ever goes colder, he can deal with getting something warmer at that time.

Second: Comfortable and stretchy is the name of the game. The nylon-coated jumpsuits (like most thinsulate suits) restrict motion too much, IMO.

Currently, he's looking at the DUI PowerStretch 300, and I think it's close to the best game in town for this category. But I've read a few scattered references to the Fourth Element undergarments from some hard core cold water divers, and surprisingly, they're a lot cheaper, too! Has anyone used (and thus directly compared) both? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

After reading about the prices of these Polartec-based garments from DUI Powerstretch 300 and Fourth Element, it brings me to the less expensive and more versatile solution of buying Polartec outdoor wear and mixing and matching several garments, such as from Cabela's.

Then again, maybe closer-fitting diving undergarments are worth the higher cost. I don't really know, having never used them.

Do those garments adequately cover the expected range of temps or do you end up adding more garments anyway?

So-Cal surface water temps appear to rarely go below 55:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

I don't know the range of So-Cal bottom temps, but it looks like those diving undergarments would probably suffice for most people.

Since I like to be real warm, I love being able to mix and match additional garments!

Okay, another reason is because I'm cheap, too. :D

Dave C

Sorry, I should have posted about the suit in question: TLS350.

Not interested in DIY outdoors store workarounds, he (we) prefer dive gear, jumpsuits preferably, but I'm willing to make an exception for the fourth element stuff due to feedback. We both have plenty of general outdoors gear (ala Cabellas options) that would do the job adequately, perhaps, but that's not what he's looking for.

I've read the thread re the cheap eBay suits, but neither of them are really in the running.

The machine washable nature of the two front runners (DUI and Fourth Element) is really key. I'm not interested in the thinsulate stuff for that very reason (aside from the flexibility issues).

CompuDude:
Sorry, I should have posted about the suit in question: TLS350.

Not interested in DIY outdoors store workarounds, he (we) prefer dive gear, jumpsuits preferably, but I'm willing to make an exception for the fourth element stuff due to feedback. We both have plenty of general outdoors gear (ala Cabellas options) that would do the job adequately, perhaps, but that's not what he's looking for.

I've read the thread re the cheap eBay suits, but neither of them are really in the running.

The machine washable nature of the two front runners (DUI and Fourth Element) is really key. I'm not interested in the thinsulate stuff for that very reason (aside from the flexibility issues).

For what its worth, I have both the 'cheap' ebay variety and the Whites original Glacier base. I prefer the fleece ebay undergarmet. I don't personally consider whether it 'dive' gear but I do agree a jumpsuit style is slightly better. Its hard for a single piece suit to bunch up. (that said, I have always dove jumpsuits/farmer john with a overcoat or vest)

To each their own, after all, you have to be comfortable wearing it.

Dive the Fourth Element Artic in 38 F with no other layers. Both warm and comfortable. They run small so go a size larger and tuck in the shirt and you avoid the bunching issues.

Back
Top Bottom