Hiding your certification level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A point brought up by a friend that's a DM when I said that you're not under any obligations if you didn't make any ...
What if a diver, on finding that your a DM, goes and does a dive that they would not have gone on, under the assumption on there part that "hey, they're a DM so I'll be safe" and they end up hurt for no reason on the DM's part?
... I can see my friends point now

I show my advanced card, and nitrox card .. I do not tell anyone that I've done Rescue because with my dive count and frequency, I do not want anyone to think I may more capable than I am

A point brought up by a friend that's a DM when I said that you're not under any obligations if you didn't make any ...
What if a diver, on finding that your a DM, goes and does a dive that they would not have gone on, under the assumption on there part that "hey, they're a DM so I'll be safe" and they end up hurt for no reason on the DM's part?
... I can see my friends point now

I show my advanced card, and nitrox card .. I do not tell anyone that I've done Rescue because with my dive count and frequency, I do not want anyone to think I may more capable than I am

Just gave you a "thanks". That's exactly my point.

Well I think a huge benefit of not showing the card WHILE ON VACATION is well obvious. You are on vacation. Why get roped into talking about work, when you are on vacation. Inevitably someone will ask you to look over their gear, check out their trip, offer a tip. Why would you want to be bothered by all that on vacation. I am sure it is worse for a dive instructor on a dive boat than it is for a lawyer or doctor or any other professional who is on vacation.

I can tell you that I get asked all the time for a professional opinion while not at work. Mostly I tell people I am a counselor (not a lie but not the complete truth) and they think I am a psychologist. Its ok by me, no one asks me about their legal messes.

So back to your question, keep your profession to yourself while you are participating in the dive to avoid having a remote chance of creating a relationship with the dive buddies on the boat (even if it was never your intention to do so) and so you can relax on your vacation.

Actally you are wrong, I get WAY more medical questions when I am on a dive trip, than diving questions. (Even when they know my qualifications as a diver)

We have some new participants here and some comments lead me to suspect that they posted their thoughts without reading the whole thread.

1. If someone is going to argue that you have a duty or higher duty to them solely because you are an instructor, then they will make the argument whether you show your card or not. If there is a serious injury, it is easy enough to find out the maximum level of everyone on the boat, regardless of what card they show the operator. The difference is that in one instance they can argue that you were hiding your status and that it was for an improper reason. In the other instance, they can't. Can you argue that there was a good reason. Sure. But, why expose yourself to having to make the argument?

2. If someone is going to argue that he exposed himself to an unnecessary risk solely because he knows you are an instructor, then regardless of your certification, he will argue he exposed himself to an unnecessary risk because he thought you were an experienced diver. Again, you will have to face arguments about hiding your status, as discussed in point 1, above. And, if the only evidence is that the injured diver exposed himself to risk solely because he knew you are an instructor, it is unlikely a lawyer will take the case and even if one does, a judge is likely to throw it out, unless there is an appealing argument like you were hiding your status and that it must have been for an improper reason. Never underestimate the strength of inference and innuendo.

ItsBruce:
And, if the only evidence is that the injured diver exposed himself to risk solely because he knew you are an instructor, it is unlikely a lawyer will take the case and even if one does, a judge is likely to throw it out, unless there is an appealing argument like you were hiding your status and that it must have been for an improper reason.

How can he make such a claim if he didn't know you are an instructor? If he knew you were an instructor, how can he make the claim you were hiding it?

Lawyers sue for money not for justice.

A lawyer gets paid for representing you. They will use the courts to try and get the verdict you want.

I have never had it demonstrated any different to me by any attorney and I have never seen it any other way in listening to others.

A generalization? My attorney said one time "99% of attorneys give a bad name to the honest ones."

When the facts are on your side, argue the facts.
When the law is on your side, argue the law.
When you neither have the facts or the law on your side, pound on the table.

I just heard this again today when discussing a case with our lawyers. Seems to apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom