Hiding behind your screen name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein:
Are you trying to say I am some kinda low brow kinda guy!!! :11: I have you to know I drink only the finest wine......MAD DAWG 20/20 baby!!!! :eyebrow: Straight up outa the paper bag no less.

Paul
I'll be right over, you will recognize me the one in the purple speedos :10:

While it's been mentioned several time here, I think it bears repeating - ID theft, kooks, stalkers, & credit card scamming are all very real concerns.

I've been stalked by folks I fired & ex-boyfriends. I just spent 2 hrs on the phone w/ Verizon to remove $400 in long distance charges to Guinea Bissou, SA, that my computer somehow managed to ring up. I've had CC accounts opened under my maiden name & the merchandise shipped to old addresses leading me to think someone from my old 'hood lifted my mail.

I can only imagine what folks could do if I provided some legitimate information. I'm paranoid & I read quite a bit, mostly fiction, thriller-spy genre & much of it deals with computer hacking & social engineering.

My information is on a need to know basis & very few people need to know. Anyone have a DAN tag w/ your SS number on it? Some of my friends do. BC's are left in the luggage, laying around the resort or boat. Not real difficult to remember 8 digits. Or what about cert ID numbers? I'm sure in the wrong hands, PADI or NAUI numbers could be reverse engineered to provide your real name & address...

Like a few others, my pic was in my profile until the update. Just never put another up.

Jersey

DrownedRat:
Two easy way to do this :) Download zonealarm ( www.zonelabs.com ) and upgrade to the pro version. I'm not a big fan of software firewalls myself so the other option would be picking up a d-link (or other brand) router. This will handle port/IP masking out of the box (read: little real config required). Keep in mind that most firewall configs DO NOT prevent spyware/trojans etc from infecting the computer, however they will prevent them from allowing access and sending out personal info. Two programs, adaware (www.lavasoftus.com) and spybot (www.download.com) are great tools for cleaning up spyware. The above coupled with an AV app will cover most of your bases. I'd be happy to give you more details in a PM or new thread.

As for the screen name??? Who know, who cares? I didn't because as an old school IT guy it's just in my nature. When meeting scubaboard people I use my real name, I sign PM's with it and anyone diving with me can copy my license plate from the car (if they are really curious). I think my attitude is why the heck do you care? Who the heck are you that I should give you my name? I don't flame people and I really do try to live up to the following... If I wouldn't say it to your face, I will NOT type it.

I really am stupid when it comes to them dam machines but I have a girl across the street that is a wiz I will drop this in her lap. I do have Norton and Adaware so its a start.
Same as you if you want my name I will give it when we talk in private.

Well it seems I have done what I intended to do.

In 2 Days I have gotten 83 posts and hundreds of readers to read and respond to my thread. I am happy to have given everyone something to think about and interact with each other. Thats what this forum is all about.

Thank you, I have enjoyed everyone thoughts and answers.

I hope everyone had a good time with the questions and comments.

Happy Diving, whom ever you are. :)

Curt Bowen:
Why is it that many of the members here on the Scuba Board do not put their real name in their profile?

Do you not have your real name posted because your afraid of someone knowing who you are

Most of us are here because we love this sport and wish to interact with others with the same interest. I would like to see more divers post their real names so I know who the heck I am speaking with. I think it also adds credibility to your posts.

Maybe even a photo of your self would be good also.

I sign my post with my real first name, but I don't use my last name because I have a couple of computer-savvy people I would rather not have track me down (loong stories - never date anyone that you have to ignore your "women's intuition" about.) Christine is far too common to be used as a screen name, and my parents have a cow print rabbit (1/2 lop & 1/2 netherland dwarf), so it was a logical place to go when I was racking my brain for a name.

My reason for being here is the same as yours (also see signature below.) And I am a newbie, so I have no credibility anyway :)

As for a picture, I have never had one of myself I liked well enough to post ANYWHERE, and my husband calls me Froggie.

Curt - You've done a lot more than that!!
Now I have to try to sleep with the image of cdiver2 in purple speedo's burned in my brain:11:

Ya, always best to have a bud in the "know". You have a good start, but just for fun get a copy of spybot (free download) and see how much adaware actually misses. Also note you need to use the little "update" button once a week or so. It's the same as updating your virus def tables (how your AV software knows what to look for), these programs are only as good as their last update. On another note, some dude (can't remember the name but he was in Japan) suggested moving away from windows. Great call. Linux usability has improved ten-fold over the last few years. Mandrake system 10 is a great Linux version and very user friendly. If you are not a hardcore gamer and use your system for word processing, e-mail, web stuff etc it's a great way to go.

cdiver2:
I really am stupid when it comes to them dam machines but I have a girl across the street that is a wiz I will drop this in her lap. I do have Norton and Adaware so its a start.
Same as you if you want my name I will give it when we talk in private.

What's in a name?

Some names that look real aren't.

Some names that look false are real.

NetDoc is my company (Registered here in Florida).

But I can understand why some feel reticent to divulge true identities. To each his own, and we even hide lots of info from the casual user because spam is such a hot issue. But I know who you are! :D

KimLeece:
Curt - You've done a lot more than that!!
Now I have to try to sleep with the image of cdiver2 in purple speedo's burned in my brain:11:

Sweet dreams :10:

DrownedRat:
Ya, always best to have a bud in the "know". You have a good start, but just for fun get a copy of spybot (free download) and see how much adaware actually misses. Also note you need to use the little "update" button once a week or so. It's the same as updating your virus def tables (how your AV software knows what to look for), these programs are only as good as their last update. On another note, some dude (can't remember the name but he was in Japan) suggested moving away from windows. Great call. Linux usability has improved ten-fold over the last few years. Mandrake system 10 is a great Linux version and very user friendly. If you are not a hardcore gamer and use your system for word processing, e-mail, web stuff etc it's a great way to go.

again DR made a note of them and will look into it.
David

Back
Top Bottom