Hiding behind your screen name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
Why, of course it was all at the same time!
Are you, sir, inferring that I am a prevaricator of facts regarding my military service??:eyebrow:

Inferring? No. :wink:

funlvn66:
Does anyone know how to make my photo visible when I post?
Steve
If you're talking about the pictures off non the left hand side, they're called "avatars", and I think you may need to email it to one of the moderators for posting.
Otherwise there is a provision for adding a profile picture that you can just upload yourself by clicking on the "user CP" at the top of the page..

Cable users are on a shared segment. Think of it as a big lan for the whole neighbourhood. DSL is %100 your pipe right out to the CO. Much more secure "out-of-the-box" than cable.

kalvyn:
Did you happen to notice my license plate last night, Lamont? :wink:

I use SonicWall (a true hardware firewall appliance) between my DSL modem and my LAN. I used to have a cable modem at my old house and I saw a LOT more 1337 h4x0r attempts on my cable connection than I've seen on my DSL. Strange but true.

<snipped>

Jimmie (Debian Boy)

kalvyn:
Did you happen to notice my license plate last night, Lamont?

No, I missed it. What's it say?

I know that Matt (also a scubaboarder, don't know his nick...) has AFK on his plates...

Friend of mine at work managed to get "SCO 666" plates, and they're not vanity plates...

kalvyn:
I use SonicWall (a true hardware firewall appliance) between my DSL modem and my LAN. I used to have a cable modem at my old house and I saw a LOT more 1337 h4x0r attempts on my cable connection than I've seen on my DSL. Strange but true. For spam, I use procmail rules and RBLs.

I used to watch h4x0r attempts a lot more. These days I just assume it is always going on. I've found that most IDS work tends to be pretty academic -- mostly you just need to manage your external services, make sure that you don't open up any open proxies and protect against bandwidth consumption attacks and you're not going to get hacked.

Although I do know pretty foolproof techniques that can probably break into any company on the internet. Most of the attackers out there aren't sophisticated enough to use them though.

kalvyn:
Are you going to run Slowaris^H^H^HSolaris on that Ultra/5 or one of the *BSD or Linux for Sparc distros?

Slowaris. I like keeping myself able to admin Solaris boxes, and like the exposure to the different architecture (pluggable schedulers and all kinds of interesting crap...)

Bob3:
If you're talking about the pictures off non the left hand side, they're called "avatars", and I think you may need to email it to one of the moderators for posting.
Otherwise there is a provision for adding a profile picture that you can just upload yourself by clicking on the "user CP" at the top of the page..

Hey thanks it worked! I thought 'Avitars' were some type of flying fish......LOL

Scubakevdm:
Because its more fun.

I agree! Plus some screennames give us a slight insight to who we are. Jane Doe doesn't say anything. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom