HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czechguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to purchase an HID canister light for a cave diving training but I am not sure which one to get from the overwhelming selection on the market.
Halcyon, Dive Rite, Salvo, Sartek, OMS, 10W, 18W, 21W??
Could somebody experienced with this equipment give me some advice regarding best built brand and most versatile wattage?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Zdenek

10w is not sufficient for cave - most organizations/instructors require 18-20+ for full cave.

Besides, you can never have "too much" light.

10w is not sufficient for cave - most organizations/instructors require 18-20+ for full cave.

WHAT!?!?!?! :confused:

Care to explain why a 10w HID isn't enough for a cave dive? What agency or instructor requires anything more than a 10w HID?

OP, you are going to get a lot of people posting that they love whatever light they own (including me).

I have owned three -- a Nite Rider, a Terkel (not available any more) and a Salvo. I love my Salvo light. I don't like the way the wires connect to the battery or to the connectors, but on the other hand, they're fairly easily fixed. Customer service from Salvo is utterly fabulous. I have the 21W variable focus remote ballast light. I like the remote ballast, because it makes the light head smaller on my hand.

The new Salvo lights have a sealed battery canister, so it cannot flood, and banana plug connectors. I think this is a step upward, but if all your cave diving buddies have the other kind of connection, it means you can't swap batteries or canisters if somebody has a problem, and this is a downside.

By the same token, if you frequently dive with the same group of cave divers, having the same lights comes in very handy -- you can swap batteries, or chargers, if the need exists.

While I am not Full cave certified I cannot speak for that... But I see plenty of full cave certified divers that dive with a 10watt, including instructors! I actually like the way my 10w reflects off the cave walls... Its no fun if everything in the cave is lit up!...

To the OP, I dive a 10w diverite MR11 Slimline... Your going to get a variety of answers here and the only way you can really make a decision is to dive with it yourself.

:cool2:
-Tony DC

The brands that you mention, Halcyon, Dive Rite, and Salvo will all serve you well. I have or dive with people that have all 3 (I can’t speak about the others since I have no experience with them) and if taken care of, they will take care of you.

As far as I’m concerned 10 watts IS enough. Sure I’d like 21, but it isn’t enough brighter to justify the expense while my 10 watt keep burning. There’s no real difference in the light output of the 18 and 21 watt, it’s just a different mfg, so your choice is really 10 or 18/21.

Make sure you get one that is focusable. A non-focusable 10 watt may leave you wanting a little more.

You’ll probably want something with at least a 4 hour burn time, but depending on the diving that you’re doing you may want considerably more…or at least the ability to have a second battery to slide in. As mentioned before, Salvo’s new design has the battery integrated into the canister. This is a nice design, but you can’t change out the battery unless you have an entire separate canister. If you go this route, get a bigger battery than you think you will need. Also, depending the type of battery; NiMH, LiIon, LiPO, etc…there may be different ways to handle it…keep it fully charged, store it drained and charge before using, etc…see what the mfg has to say about it and follow it.

Lastly, the primary light is a GREAT tool, probably some of the best money that I’ve ever spent. It has the ability to change the way that you dive and communicate underwater. Spend the money and get what you want…you won’t be disappointed.

Enjoy!

This is exactly why I immediately look to "Location" whenever I see people posting in the Cave Diving forum.

Bob... obviously he was referring to Jersey caves.

10w focusable Salvo, 21w or 35w if you can afford it but not necessary, despite the above misinformation.

Interesting, I guess I better sell my 10w light and start shopping for something brighter...

I should also call my cave instructor and tell him to do the same...

:shakehead:

Not true. 10watt is plenty for most caves.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom