HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not cave certified, actually just certified this year and now advanced. I bought an OMS Phantom 10 watt HID cannister and I love it. Like others have posted I can see that area you dive, types of caves and just how much light you need are questions you need to think about. I do alot of wreck diving in the great lakes where visibility is 20 feet to 10 most times and dark. It is perfect for me, unbelievably bright and I love the way it stream lines with my equipment. Small enough to use a goodman handle and light weight. As I grow with my certification levels so will my equipment. It was in my budget range at the time and I am happy with it.

I have only seen one reference to wattage required for full cave - but that was old material referring to a minimum 35 watt halogen light. Halogen lights did not have the same apparent brightness and a 50 watt halogen was still not exactly great and was a battery hog.

A 10 watt HID is equal or even superior to that standard and is enough for full cave. A 21 or 35 watt HID is great, but the price goes up almost exponentially from the 10 watt light.

I would like to thank to all members who responded to my question regarding HID lights.
It definitely helped me to narrow down my search. I think the right way to go is to spend the extra cash on a really nice one that is also focusable and has more capacity that I am going to need in the beginning, as it may change in the future.
Halcyon/Salvo 10W focusable, 4hrs. plus sounds like a universal choice for most divers.
Thanks again
Best regards

Zdenek

Besides, you can never have "too much" light.

I think the proper wattage of a light is like the proper gear for a particular dive. For example if I am doing small cave that has white walls,then a lower wattage is perfect,otherwise you get a snowblind headache. In river caves that have high level of particulate,having a high wattage light can cause a lot of scatter,and reflection back at you-sometimes in this case a halogen works better. Personally I like the 10w HIDs for most cave,but I do use an 18w for large cave like Diepolder,Indian,Emerald etc.

This is exactly why I immediately look to "Location" whenever I see people posting in the Cave Diving forum.

Because, as everyone knows, it's impossible to know anything about diving in any environment other than where you live!

:D

That said, apparently I am off target on my comments about wattage requirements. I thought for sure I had read some info on requirements for 18/20w or greater but it seems that was simply a "recommendation" and not an actual "requirement."

My bad.

I'm not cave certified but am otherwise tech training w/ GUE. I just wanted to share my Halcyon customer service experience. I have a Halcyon 9/21 HID. For some reason during an open ocean dive, the bulb cover (the "test tube" that covers the lamp) fell off and the lamp was exposed to salt water. I sent it to Halcyon to have it checked and they not only replaced the cover but also the lamp (a $200+ cost) - despite the fact that it still worked. Free shipping w/ one day turnaround as well. Maybe doesn't speak so well as to "quality" but I did get some great customer service.

Also, for what it's worth, I was advised to get the most powerful and long lasting light that I could afford. I've yet to think that the 21 is "too much" light after having used it in cavern, wreck, night and reef (deep and shallow) dives.

Best of luck!

Thanks all of you for your additional information on HID lights.
As this piece of equipment is not universal for all applications but it works great for the majority of divers, I am going to get a focusable 10W HID. At least I do not have to apply for a loan to buy a higher output light, and I will see what happens in the future when I gain some experience with it.
Regards
Zdenek

Czechguy, I have one more factor for you to consider, from personal experience. I have a Sartek, which performance-wise is just fine. I purchased it while I was living in the US, but have since moved to Mexico, and there are no dealers here. When problems arise (and they will!) and I need service or parts, I am looking at shipping it back to Sartek in Florida for any sort of work. That wouldn't be an issue in the US or Canada, but from here it is crazy expensive.
So my recommendation would be to select a brand that can be easily serviced in the location you intend to dive, since that's when you're most likely to need support.

Hey, us 'old-timers' would still be using carbide head-lamps if we could figure a way to keep 'em lit!

"10w is not sufficient for cave - most organizations/instructors require 18-20+ for full cave." - My Ass...

10w is perfectly wonderful and adequate - unless all your buds have 35w. then, it's harder for them to see you signaling because they wash you out, and harder for you to see them since you're looking through the green lenses of envy... :wink:

so good choice, op.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom