Hi/Where's the cheap stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nopEda

New
Reaction score
Hi Scubers,

I'm around Atlanta, that's GA, that's USA, that's Earth, that's
Sol system... Haven't scubad(?) yet, but plan on giving it a go.
I have a houseboat and take it out to the islands, and have
been getting used to the wet suit and snorkling. Last week I
learned to clear my mask. It sux...my throat doesn't want to
draw air in my mouth when my nostrils are filled with water...
imagine that. But I did manage to overcome, and did it about
5 times. Does it get easier? Should it get easier? I have a friend
who is hoping to become a dive instructor, and so far he is into
practicing on me, and I'm interested in learning about it.

Now I'm interested in where to get low cost equipment, because
I'm a poor boy. Can anyone suggest where to get the low cost,
surplus (whatever) type gear? At the moment I'm looking for
weights, belt buckles, and the bargain BCDs.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
David

Tocayo, Welcome to SB, Try scuba toys or leisure pro for good prices on equipment.
Larry will meet LP's price. Ebay also has some deals. Good luck and happy hunting.
David

David,

I'm always looking for a bargain too, Just remember one thing . . . The stuff you are wearing is LIFE Support. . . . Just keep that in mind when you are thinking about buying a used BC for 20 bucks.

Dive safe.

LIT

Lil' Irish Temper:
David,

I'm always looking for a bargain too, Just remember one thing . . . The stuff you are wearing is LIFE Support. . . . Just keep that in mind when you are thinking about buying a used BC for 20 bucks.

Dive safe.

LIT
at least I didn't turn this thread into some kind of train wreck. :D

Lil' Irish Temper:
David,

Dive safe.

LIT

x2..... you get what you pay for.

nopEda:
Hi Scubers,
David
I would suggest reading, renting (or borrowing), and asking around enough to be educated about the types of equipment available, and looking for opportunities to buy good used equipment in the middle price range before spending your money.

For example, if a reputable dive shop is selling its used rental equipment, you may be able to get good quality, well-maintained, and recently checked out regulators and BCs at good prices.

If you can't afford to make a mistake and don't know enough about the equipment to check it out properly, I would be very careful about buying used over the internet (eBay, for example). Some things you can get on the internet are low risk purchases (fins is fins, if you know what you want and what size you need), but regulators and BCs are different, and if you add the cost of having them checked out by somebody who knows what they're doing, the final cost of buying sight unseen goes up at least a little bit, and maybe a lot (if something needs to be overhauled or repaired). If possible, I would buy those more critical things from a reputable shop that sells used gear, already checked out by them.

You can also buy new but lower priced gear that may be perfectly suitable for your needs. I would check out Rodale's site scubadiving.com for articles about budget regulators and BCs - you don't need to spend a ton of money to get perfectly good equipment. Once you check out the prices of such stuff new, you will have a better idea of how it compares to the price of higher-priced gear in the used market.

It is very easy to get seduced into thinking that you need the high-end regulator or BC. If you are diving in open water and don't expect to dive too deep, there are perfectly good choices in much lower price ranges.

nopEda:

David
I have found it costs me more to spend too little than to spend too much.

There are deals to be had out there as long as you know what you are after.

Check out Divers-Supply. They are local (store in doraville and Marietta) and have gear ranging from all price ranges. They will price match any non-gray market store.

Matt

Hello David and welcome to the board.

First, read as much as you possibly can on Scubaboard. I've learned so much here about gear, brands and diving in general. If you want to find a bargain, you first have to know what gear you really want and what a good price is.

I'm a big fan of eBay for great prices on scuba gear. You have to be very patient and very selective in what you bid on and buy. There's lots of junk and some of the better stuff will sell for nearly retail. However, if you know what you want, you have the time, and you enjoy hunting for bargains, then sooner or later you will find the right deal.

If you know what you want and are willing to take a little risk. Try ebay. I will study the pictures and email questions and have picked up a few nice things. Of course I have them looked at by someone else and test them in a pool on the shallow end. But you can't beat getting a DUI drysuit for $300. Even though it does have one pinhole in the back I can't find yet. Also if you are looking for a regulator set, make sure they can tell you the brand of the first stage and second. For a spare set I was able to pick up a scubpro mark 5 with enviro first stage, a scubapro main and sherwood octo for about $100. But then tested them thouroughly. If you are not sure or they can not get you more information don't buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom