Early Fall Izu Oshima/Mikomoto & Hokkaido

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broadreach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm planning an early fall trip to Japan for late September-early October 2023 to combine some hiking as well as scuba diving.
My home turf is central California, where I dive in a drysuit and regularly deal with cold water, sub-optimal viz, surf on beach entries and surge . I also have fair amount of experience diving in heavier currents in different locations around the world.

I realize that Okinawa is considered the best diving destination in Japan but for this trip I'm looking for something different.

I'm very keen on seeing the famous hammerheads of Oshima and/or Mikomoto. Based on my research it seems reasonable to start out in Oshima, get acclimated with some shore dives, before taking the ferry onwards to Izu and continue on to Shimoda to dive Mikomoto. I understand that summer is a better bet for hammerheads but it seems like there's a pretty good chance through October as well. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Another dive I'm curious about in the greater Tokyo area is the shark dive out of Ito in Chiba which seems doable as a daytrip from Tokyo. Is that worthwhile?

The next area that I am curious about is Hokkaido. Online source suggest three interesting spots - Hakodate, Shakotan, and Shiretoko. (I'm not so interested in the fresh water option). As someone who really enjoys diving in the kelp forests in California I thought it could be really cool to check out the Japanese equivalent. From what I can tell however, the only area that's advertised as proper kelp diving is Hakodate where I couldn't find an English speaking operator.

Shiretoko looks really cool and I find the hiking opportunities there very attractive, but it's obviously too early for ice diving and I'm not sure if there are any other diving offered in that area in October. As for Shakotan I'm not sure what is the attraction beyond good visibility. Is there anything to see there in October?

Finally, I've read about diving/snorkeling trips to see salmon runs in Hokkaido in September/October. Has anyone tried those? Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom