Hi-viz lines - are they worth buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About the colour having little meaning when I'm just shooting SMBs, understood.
Jimmer, one thing I'd like to ask you. While your shop uses pink, you have yellow. Any specific reason you selected yellow, or is it just to differentiate between the shop's line and yours?

Well it was really just a coincidence. I happened to buy a yellow spool, and they happened to get a big reel of pink line for their shot lines. How we work our shotlines, is we take a 1 gallon bleach jug, wrap a couple hundred feet of the pink line around it, then tie a 3 pound weight to the end of the line, and when the depth sounder shows we're over the wreck, we toss it overboard and follow the line down.

As far as using my yellow spool, I don't really see a HUGE advantage to it when I'm using it and handling it myself, but where I could see it being a big advantage would be for other divers to spot before they get tangled into it. If we hit a wreck that has very poor viz, I'll tie off the spool to the wreck or the downline, so I can find my way back to the line easily. I could see the high vis line being especially useful in a situation such as that, where other divers on the wreck could spot my yellow line, before getting twisted up in it.

Well it was really just a coincidence. I happened to buy a yellow spool, and they happened to get a big reel of pink line for their shot lines. How we work our shotlines, is we take a 1 gallon bleach jug, wrap a couple hundred feet of the pink line around it, then tie a 3 pound weight to the end of the line, and when the depth sounder shows we're over the wreck, we toss it overboard and follow the line down.

As far as using my yellow spool, I don't really see a HUGE advantage to it when I'm using it and handling it myself, but where I could see it being a big advantage would be for other divers to spot before they get tangled into it. If we hit a wreck that has very poor viz, I'll tie off the spool to the wreck or the downline, so I can find my way back to the line easily. I could see the high vis line being especially useful in a situation such as that, where other divers on the wreck could spot my yellow line, before getting twisted up in it.

Jimmer, thanks for explaining.
Though not exactly a huge advantage, as you said, reducing the risk of entanglement is something to consider. Someone tangled in my line just might trigger a series of incidents leading to some sort of diving accident.

Since I haven't got into diving wrecks yet, I really don't know which reel length I will be needing. I guess I'll talk to my instructor and ask what length he sees appropriate, and buy one with a yellow or orange line.

Thanks to all for your help. :)

Since I haven't got into diving wrecks yet, I really don't know which reel length I will be needing. I guess I'll talk to my instructor and ask what length he sees appropriate, and

If you are diving wrecks beyond recreational depths then you are going to need a pretty big reel.
If the plan is for a drifting deco,or if you miss the upline then then you need quite a bit more line than the depth you are at.
400 feet is a pretty standard length for a primary reel.

I guess I should have said *my* Home D sells the braided kind :)

I bought some of the twisted stuff for other purposes, and it's a pain to work with. Un-twists as soon as you cut it.

Henrik

Mine has it too, but you have to look around for it. They have about 40 different kinds. Most are just twisted.

Tom

If you are diving wrecks beyond recreational depths then you are going to need a pretty big reel.
If the plan is for a drifting deco,or if you miss the upline then then you need quite a bit more line than the depth you are at.
400 feet is a pretty standard length for a primary reel.

Thanks for the input. I guess I should be eyeing something like a Primary Sidewinder reel, with neon lines if I'm going for DR reels.

And, forex rates says I'm getting 10% off :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom