Hi, it's your instructor calling....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In answer to the OP, we can all only wish we had instructors like you.

I made every effort to be engaged with my LDS only to be quoted 2X prices on equipment, after I did research and knew the "going rates" on all brands. LDS did not respect my knowledge of equipment ratings or pricing . Instructor hasn't returned any emails or phone calls after the class, when asking opinions on going AOW or just getting in a few dives, i.e. what should I do? Fish or cut bait?

I personally wanted to support my local community and have the cash to do so, but after my experience and lack of engagement from the LDS crew...... screw it, my money spends on-line at better margins.

It seems LDS's would get a clue, know their audience in sales, expect the customer has done their homework and make the "exclusive line" they carry priced in line with the market place on-line. I've been in sales a long time and one sale at lower margins is better than no sale at all to build your business and stay competitive.

My LDS is more interested in making a buck than making new divers to keep the sport advancing.

That's too bad. I let students in OW classes that I DM for know that I am out at the local swamp hole almost every weekend, year round, practicing skills. I give them all my cell number and have even offered to bring tanks. No one has ever taken me up on this. I wonder if they think I am not sincere :confused:

That's too bad. I let students in OW classes that I DM for know that I am out at the local swamp hole almost every weekend, year round, practicing skills. I give them all my cell number and have even offered to bring tanks. No one has ever taken me up on this. I wonder if they think I am not sincere :confused:

I think it might be the "local swamp hole" part of your invitation. :D

I'd love a call to go diving from my instructor and would pay mine and her/his way due to the added safety of getting dives back under my belt with an instructor.

I agree also with SDI, I think it is that you are not "advanced" until 25 or more new dives. The PADI AOW classes to me are just intro's to that type of diving. Like others have said a "learners permit", you did the dive but need 10-20 more hours to perfect.

My instruction today was "cruise ship" compared to what I had in the 70's-80's.

Last edited:
My dive buddy and I have both been diving with his OW instructor multiple times. He usually finishes his student dives then heads out with us. We usually have a few beers after we're done. I actually can't think of a time when we have been diving with him and it has felt like he was "instructing" us. We do ask him plenty of questions, but that's usually during surface intervals and it still feels like being out with any other dive buddy. We don't dive with my instructor because I finished my OW in Playa Del Carmen and that's a hell of drive from Chicago. I'm guessing if he were local we probably would dive with him too.

I have noticed that most of his students head out after they are done with their checkout dives even though he asks if any of them want to hang around for a dive or two. I think some of us just like to dive more then others. I know when I'm out for diving I start at 7 A.M and do as many dives as I can before night fall. We are typically just finishing our surface swim back as the sun sets.

I think it just depends on how anxious the students are to get out and dive.

Last edited:
We have grottos, trees, limited viz, and the chance of finding a monster catfish. What more can a diver ask for? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You have VIZ?

Puts you one rung up the ladder on us!

You remember me, right? At the end of your OW class, remember me telling you one of my greatest pleasures in diving is the opportunity to dive and mentor my former students? I remember you mentioning how much there was to learn in this sport and how eager you were to learn.

I gave you my card and told you to call any time you had a question or wanted to dive.
I send you emails about upcoming dives in the hopes that you'll join me.
You have my cell number, my work and email addresses.....
You bought a lot of gear, but I know you barely use it, if at all...

Why haven't you called?

My OW instructor doesn't like to do fun dives with his students so I never heard anything like this when I finished class! I would have welcomed something like this then and I did email the shop numerous times to see if anyone was going out diving, was like drawing blood from a stone though they did have a few DM led trips now and then (the DMs were nice) before I found regular buddies. Though if he offered today I'd say no given how much he screwed me on my first gear purchase :wink:

The club I am in now and doing a course through, the main instructor has dived for fun lots of times and I've buddied up with him now and again. He gives me tips and things like that so it's great. It's a BSAC club so the instructors are all volunteer too.

The club I am in now and doing a course through, the main instructor has dived for fun lots of times and I've buddied up with him now and again. He gives me tips and things like that so it's great. It's a BSAC club so the instructors are all volunteer too.

What is a BSAC club?

What is a BSAC club?

BSAC is a British training agency. It works via independent clubs rather than through shops. Most of the instructors are volunteers as are the dive leaders but the training is recognised worldwide. British Sub-Aqua Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer this type of club to shop-associated clubs as I have found the training more comprehensive, it is more at my own pace and also there isn't bias when it comes to recommending gear and trips and so on. Of course not all BSAC clubs work well but I like the one I am in :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom