Hi, it's your instructor calling....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my ow instructor lives a state away now, so he's a bit out of the picture.

but - i have called up my cave instructor for a tune-up dive after being out of the caves having a baby. he was wonderful about it, wouldn't take pay for what is usually a paid thing (dive guiding), and was not really in instructor mode but in friend & buddy mode. really nice.

Hey man, I've asked "you" numerous times if you ever dive socially and all "you" ever say is you're too tired or too busy. After a while I just stopped trying. It seems the only way I can dive with "you" is to take a course. Fortunately, one instructor I know does dive socially, mentors and is currently organizing a local charter trip. If I ever take another (****) course I'm giving him first dibs.

I'm thinking this is the best idea I've seen to date. Not sure how practical it will be to call 100+ people, but I have no doubt this would yield the best results.

In the past, I have called students I knew weren't diving and had mixed results. From the reaction I got from some, the call did not seem welcomed. Perhaps they thought there was an underlying motive.

In the future, I'll clarify my motives during class. Additionally, I'll be creating a release form for using pics/videos of students and also include a consent or opt out for students who wouldn't mind a call from me to invite them diving.

Thanks to all for your input.

What I do now is actually invite them myself to go diving when I am going out on the boat or to the quarry. I rarely get turned down. We fill the boat or have a big group go the quarry and have a barbecue as well.

I think the invitation on a particular day comes acrossed as being much more sincere and genuine. That personal phone call seems to go a long way.

I dive with my instructor all the time. I help him out on his boat when they go out on dives and also go diving when i can get up there....so i keep in touch for not only continuing education...but also going out for fun dives.....

I cant even get my instructors (former) to use SB. They think it's one of the many things ruining the diving industry. Very closed minded they are.

I have been diving with them but it was for them to make money, Charter boat set up by them.

I see you are a DNYer. Loads of good peeps there that will dive with you and your limitations. In fact we are getting together Nov. 21 and 22 at Dutch. Even if you feel its too cold then join us anyhow and meet some new buddies.

Yeah, I actually joined the dive NY group but the trip to Dutch has been too expensive for me. I will see what I can do for the November trip. I will dive in cold, I have a drysuit though I have only used it a couple of times.

There is a thread on the DNY forum started just for the November 21 weekend. Drop a post and see if you can get a ride to cut down on cost. The guys and gals over there are the best.

Dave - A small hijack, apologies...

Ren - As Kevin, stated, please join us at Dutch Spring, there is a thread for Nov 21 & 22 in the DNY forum.

Back to our regularly scheduled program of diving the Dave and all our instructors. Dave and Kevin, although you're not my instructor, I'd dive with you both any time we're in the same local water hole together. :D

I pass out a list of resources to every student and follow it up with an email containing the same info. The link for SB is included, but I'm not aware of any of my students on the board.
That is a good way to get it out there.

Not sure how well it would be received but maybe an email instead of a phone call as 100+ calls is time consuming. could be a short hey I am heading out to dive this weekend, anyone want to get together and have a BBQ?

I'm thinking this is the best idea I've seen to date. Not sure how practical it will be to call 100+ people, but I have no doubt this would yield the best results.

In the past, I have called students I knew weren't diving and had mixed results. From the reaction I got from some, the call did not seem welcomed. Perhaps they thought there was an underlying motive.

In the future, I'll clarify my motives during class. Additionally, I'll be creating a release form for using pics/videos of students and also include a consent or opt out for students who wouldn't mind a call from me to invite them diving.

Thanks to all for your input.
this could be a big part of it, they see you as part of the big evil over priced dive industry.

I don't do dives with my OW instructor honestly because I started Dive Con'ing for another shop that was competition . . .
Dave - A small hijack, apologies...

Ren - As Kevin, stated, please join us at Dutch Spring, there is a thread for Nov 21 & 22 in the DNY forum.

Back to our regularly scheduled program of diving the Dave and all our instructors. Dave and Kevin, although you're not my instructor, I'd dive with you both any time we're in the same local water hole together. :D

Ren do you have wheels? if so I am sure there is at least one new yorker without who might be willing to split a ride with you :) You really should come down to dutch! :D even if you dont dive, its what 10 bucks to get in.

Why haven't you called?

If an ex student calls me and wants to go diving then they are welcome to tag along. But they must initiate.

If I had to call all my ex students to keep them involved then that's another matter.... I think I've trained (or assisted in training) anywhere between 1000 and 1500 students (maybe more).

Why don't I call? because outside of being an instructor (plus father, husband, friend, and employee of a company that claims at least 40 hours of my week) I would really like to keep being a diver..... Having an ever-growing entourage of ex-students may sound cool but it will eventually kill your own diving unless you draw boundaries.

R..

Why don't I call? because outside of being an instructor (plus father, husband, friend, and employee of a company that claims at least 40 hours of my week) I would really like to keep being a diver..... Having an ever-growing entourage of ex-students may sound cool but it will eventually kill your own diving unless you draw boundaries.
R..

Very true, but once a month wouldn't kill us.... Unless all we are doing is instructing. I try to get out and do my own dives at least 3x/month and using one of those days to include former students seems like a good compromise.

As this economy puts a damper on new divers, it's going to take existing divers to help keep things going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom