Hi Ho... Hi Ho...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I guess some of you know I've been sort of floating around limbo job-wise.

Well... I'm sick of floating and am ready to start to look for a "real" job. Originally I was planning on going out to Australia/NZ/Thailand/something like that to visit friends on the other side of the globe. Planning for that isn't working so well so...

I was thinking of doing some type of diving vacation "Locally". (Locally == not somplace where airfare will cost $1500) At least a week. On the cheap as much as possible.

For the most part I'm flexible for time/place/cost. For the time part I'd like to do it soon so I can plan this new job thing... Or something like that!

Is anyone interested??

Grendel-
Have you thought about a road trip to dive somewhere in FL?
Just got back last week from Panama City FL diving for a week (yes, I am back in the diving swing of things). Since it was off season, motel rates were cheap, dive shop price was OK (did 3 boat dives/day for 4 days). Water was warm (80s), vis was OK- ranged from 25 down to 5 feet. One day I could have sworn I was in a saltwater quarry!!!
:)
It was my first experience wreck diving. Saw a lot of critturs. Had fun and it was cheaper than Caribbean and airfare.
Just a thought......................... I can give you phone numbers of dive shop, etc if you want.
Diana

If I was really interested in diving I'd be headed to High Springs FL and start taking some cave training. Maybe cavern and intro or just cavern. It's cheap to stay in the area. The training is worth every penny. If that doesn't fit then you might want to look into some advanced training in the keys. Nitrox from Mr Nitrox himself , Dick Rutkowski. Maybe some shark teeth dives in Venice Fl. How about NC Wreck diving? we're just getting started..Gee some many choices so little time and money.

... ok, you get the point. Last year I looked into Australia/NZ for work, too, but couldn't get past the idea of family being separated by so much distance (too many nieces and nephews).

When I read your post, I thought "Florida" too. There are discount flights from BWI (Southwest) and Dulles (Jet Blue) into Ft Lauderdale, and from there the middle Keys are about 2 hrs drive. We dove at Key Largo, but another 15 miles south there is a LDS that comes highly recommended: Lady Cyana (Isla Marada, mile marker 85.9; http://www.ladycyana.com/; 800-221-8717). I may get the chance to go down this Christmas. Lady Cyana could probably direct you to no-frills housing.

Too bad the public transit isn't better- the rental car sitting idle in a parking lot for so many hours a day is tough to cost-justify. Maybe a one-way rental at the beginning and end of the trip?

Just some thoughts- hope it comes together for you!

He has been wanting to put together a FL trip in Nov. or so...maybe you could jump on that with him.

We (myself, Nicole, and a couple others) have been talking about a trip in Dec-Jan to Bonaire, Cozumel, or a liveaboard. If your timeframe is further out, let me know and we will include you in the trip planning.

Of course, let me know what you guys end up planning...I have little semblance of a life and would probably go anyway :D

Yeah... I have been thinking of Florida as an option. I have family in Tallahasse I could visit. I'd love to do a cave class down there but I don't think I have the requisite number of dives quite yet. I think if I spent 3-4 dives really concentrating on improving my weak points, my skills would be decent. (If I go down there I'd be inclined to take DIRF)

Of course if I spend the first week diving then the second week I could... Hmmm... :rolleyes:

I think the real trick is going to be finding people to dive with. I'm not all that keen on the random dive buddy/day/dive that might happen if I go down there by myself.

Try the folks at EE, I'm sure they wouldn't mind putting together a DIR-F class and something along the lines of intro or even put you into a Cave1 class.

Good luck! with both job hunting and extended dive trip planning.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom