Hi from Vancouver, BC, Canada !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board buddy, not sure if you know yet, but we will be getting a 767 (?) as an artificial reef sometime this spring/summer... should be awesome!!!

As of April, anyone who is looking to get out for some dives, give me a holler, I'll need to get out of the house!!! Can't study ALL month... :D

hey ~~ i love to see that 767 before i left canada for good ~~ if anyone wants to go ~~ PM ME ~~~ :)
anyway ~~ gota do some studying ~~ final exam next week ~~ hope that i won't look like this --> :confused: on monday ~~

Another welcome from Calgary. The west coast sure does have the diving. Have fun and I hope you're able to hit the water lots this year.

Certified in Vancouver but I relocated to Fort Myers, FL two years ago. I'll be returning to Vancouver this summer for a visit and plan on getting in a dive or two.

I'll be back to BC sometime this year. I want to see that 767 too.:eek:ut:

just checked the artificial reef society website for the info on the 767 ~~ this is what i got for the latest news (march 14th)

The ARSBC announced today that the planned placement of a Boeing 737 airframe as an artificial reef in Howe Sound would not take place.

Tex Enemark, President of the ARSBC, expressed disappointment at this turn of events, since the ARSBC had invested a great deal of effort in the project, which enjoys enormous support in the recreational diving community.

"We have been working for over a year to bring an artificial reef to the Vancouver area. That we were unable to agree with dive industry members on the terms to finance the project has been most unfortunate.

"However, said Enemark, we are going to canvass the dive operators and tourism officials in other communities for support before we give up entirely on placing it somewhere. Failing that, we have no choice but to scrap it."

"It seems to be agreed that that the overall economics of the project are clearly very positive that, for instance, the net benefit to the local dive industry could be recovered within a year of the reef's placement. This project could reasonably be expected to add several hundred thousand dollars to the Lower Mainland dive tourism industry annually."

"However, the dive industry is small, and there simply are no mechanisms available to cause those dive operators and others who will benefit from the project to help pay for it. The cost of the project--less than $60,000--was not something the ARSBC could afford to undertake on its own," he concluded.

Other artificial reefs placed by the ARSBC in BC coastal communities have significantly increased the dive tourism industry, and brought long overdue world-wide attention to BC's diving opportunities. For example, Nanaimo's artificial reefs hare estimated to add several millioin dollars to the local economy, and have made Nanaimo an international destination for scuba divers and the subject of numerous articles in leading international scuba diving magazines.

guess there won't be a 767 after all ;-0 ~~ sad ~~~

Miruku- That is sad indeed. I was hoping to practice penetration dives on that 767. It seemed like the perfect way to ease into the that whole penetration/cave style of diving..ah well, lets not give up hope for the dive operators in the area may yet come up with the cash.

Marla- I hope your plans of coming out to Vancouver for a dive or 2 are a success. Keep in touch :)

Pez de Diablo - Just how much diving is there in that land locked province anyways?

Radagalf, I may take you up on that offer, soon as that dry suit comes in I hope to be diving atleast 2 days a week.

Take care all :)
Freeman -anxiously awaiting the drysuit

Yeah, PM me anytime you want to go out diving. I'm always up for diving.. :D

So what style/type of drysuit did you get???

Did you get thermal undergarments with it also???

I want a new drysuit too..!!! :D

Hi everyone. New to the scene - both discussion threads and scuba - almost certified in Atlantic Canada. Looking forward to the adventure:D

WOOHOO!!! Aqualung store in Victora said my suit is on it way their store to VANCOUVER!!!!! MuAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the (Gates) Hunter Pro-CBX 450. Trilaminate-Cordura/Butyl/Polyester. Its quit durable and really light.Grey on black.. WOOHOO!!! Paid about 1800 bucks canadian for it :)

Had to get a large size but with smaller feet, so it took 2months for it to be made in Scotland factory and shipped over...oh well, worth the wait.
Here comes diving 2 days a week :)

yep I am gunna be buggin you guys to dive..:)
ps welcome Diverse

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom