Hi from South Carolina.... A prospective new diver when I can get a few things cleaned up and find a dive shop in my area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the board! Hope your imminent entry into the sport will be a wonderful experience. Good luck!

I believe @stuartv moved to Lexington, SC (near Columbia) and is an instructor. Are you near Columbia, @RBwannaScubaBad?

Hi, I just found this post. I too am in Columbia. Did you have any luck finding a dive shop in our area?

I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color.
Just saw this thread today, and wanted to say a belated welcome to the forums, and also add that I know there are some programs that are trying to reach out to minority/urban youth such as:

Tennessee Aquatic Project – Safe Water, Safe Life

Urban Scuba Kids Foundation

Not sure if there are similar programs in South Carolina, but if not these programs in nearby states might provide a model/mentors/volunteers for you to start a similar program.

Yeah...you don't have to give your exact location, but you can't get an answer to your question without a general location. Like if you're in north SC you would be diving in Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee. There are 2 fine instructors in that area (that I know of) and probably more. One of them owns a shop with dive boats @ the lake and has access to a Y pool.
There is no "north" in SC. There are Upcountry, Lowcountry, and Piedmont in between :wink:

I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color. But I'm at age now that I'm going to pursue this with determination and with the desire of seeing my dream come to reality. I just have a few things to clean up and then hopefully finding a dive shop in my area that will provide me with the training needed to be successful with this endeavor.....

Fantastic! Go for it my friend!! I believe the perception (reality perhaps in some areas) is unique to the US. For example, in Jamaica, many locals are avid divers. Also, here in South Florida, it is not uncommon to share the boat with folks just like yourself. One of the charters that I use most frequently (Pura Vida in Riviera Beach) has crew members who are people of color. The more diversity we can bring to this hobby the better!

Welcome to diving, it is a great sport for all. On my return to diving I also had some concerns about fitting in, but mine were age and weight related. Check out the local dive shop websites. They often have clubs associated with the shop and post pictures of the groups at club events. It was reassuring to see other gray haired overweight guys. But divers are a welcoming crowd. Besides, in our wetsuits and hoods, we all look the same except for our height and weight.

Hi, I just found this post. I too am in Columbia. Did you have any luck finding a dive shop in our area?

Check out Scuba John's in Lexington. One of the best dive shops (if not the best) in South Carolina.

I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color. But I'm at age now that I'm going to pursue this with determination and with the desire of seeing my dream come to reality. I just have a few things to clean up and then hopefully finding a dive shop in my area that will provide me with the training needed to be successful with this endeavor.....

I'm in South Carolina also. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Just saw this thread today, and wanted to say a belated welcome to the forums, and also add that I know there are some programs that are trying to reach out to minority/urban youth such as:

Tennessee Aquatic Project – Safe Water, Safe Life

Urban Scuba Kids Foundation

Not sure if there are similar programs in South Carolina, but if not these programs in nearby states might provide a model/mentors/volunteers for you to start a similar program.
Replying to supplement my post above. You didn't say what part of SC you are in, so if you are need the NC state line you might check out this group in NC: Nubian Divers of Charlotte

In any event, I hope you find a good place to get certified. While there will always be a few idiots around, I believe 99% or more of scuba divers would do their best to welcome you to the sport.

Replying to supplement my post above. You didn't say what part of SC you are in, so if you are need the NC state line you might check out this group in NC: Nubian Divers of Charlotte

In any event, I hope you find a good place to get certified. While there will always be a few idiots around, I believe 99% or more of scuba divers would do their best to welcome you to the sport.
Thank you both for the replies! Luckily, I got my OWC while I was on vacation.
I’m in Columbia, so maybe an hour and a half drive from Charlotte.
I’ll have to go to Scuba John’s and try to meet some of the divers around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom