Hi from South Carolina.... A prospective new diver when I can get a few things cleaned up and find a dive shop in my area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color. But I'm at age now that I'm going to pursue this with determination and with the desire of seeing my dream come to reality. I just have a few things to clean up and then hopefully finding a dive shop in my area that will provide me with the training needed to be successful with this endeavor.....

Welcome to the Board. Are you looking at ocean or lake diving where you are in SC? I've dived at Myrtle Beach a few years ago.

I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color. But I'm at age now that I'm going to pursue this with determination and with the desire of seeing my dream come to reality. I just have a few things to clean up and then hopefully finding a dive shop in my area that will provide me with the training needed to be successful with this endeavor.....
Welcome aboard RB. Sorry the perception kept you from attempting this for so long but I think you'll find we're a pretty welcoming group here.

Just like everywhere we have our tribes. Newbies, Techies, Vintage, Hunters, Photogs, Collectors, Sight seers, and many others. Find what your interests are and you'll find a tribe to match. Lots of experience to draw on here.

Good luck with your training. Look forward to seeing you back here with updates. Ask all the questions you need and you'll probably get more help than you imagined.

Safe diving.

I've always had a fascination with Scuba but never went through with it primarily because of the perception that it's not a sport inclusive for people of color.
Welcome. ScubaBoard has a diverse membership international membership and various groups. Many people have avatars that don't display themselves, so often we don't know what 'color' somebody is. And 'race' doesn't mean quite the same thing in different parts of the world (just as many Americans aren't conversant in British social class matters).

Your point reminded me of something I heard a couple of people talk about many years ago; their perception not as many black people swam. I had no idea, but decided maybe that was a 'thing.' I've seen it mentioned online since then, and a little quick Googling after your post turned this up: BBC News: Why Don't Black Americans Swim? (Warning: article from 2010, so a lot may've changed in 12 years). Some excerpts:

"But according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the fatal drowning rate of African-American children aged five-14 is three times that of white children.
A recent study sponsored by USA Swimming uncovered equally stark statistics.
Just under 70% of African-American children surveyed said they had no or low ability to swim. Low ability merely meant they were able to splash around in the shallow end. A further 12% said they could swim but had "taught themselves"."

"The study found 58% of Hispanic children had no or low swimming ability. For white children, the figure was only 42%.
"It is an epidemic that is almost going unnoticed," says Sue Anderson, director of programmes and services at USA Swimming."

I've read elsewhere there's a history of systemic racism whereby with desegregation public pools were often shut down to avoid compliance. My experience growing up mostly in a rural area was (in my area; I don't know how broadly this pattern applies) seeing blacks clustered in a mid-size city nearby, but very few in the markedly rural areas. If you live in the country, there are farm ponds, and fishing trips to lakes and rivers are common, so I imagine the desirability of being able to swim is greater.

If blacks are under-represented in swimming, I'm guessing they may be under-represented in water sports more broadly, including scuba diving. That said, I see there's a National Association of Black Scuba Divers (NABS) - just learned they exist and not familiar with them.

Like you, I chose an avatar that's 'me.' Got certified in '06; recently crossed the 500 dive mark. I haven't seen a lot of black divers, but enough variety that we're accustomed to diversity. Many recreational scuba divers go on traveling dive vacations, so we're used to meeting people from different groups. In all my trips, I don't recall overhearing anyone make racist statements against blacks.

You might stumble across a 'bad apple' most anywhere, I suppose, but I think you'll find the recreational dive community a good place to be.

Welcome. I live in a rural area and your perception is not off. I have certified people of color to dive and there is a long history of racist attitudes in the industry. In the US anyway. Go to other countries with more progressive societies and it is less of an issue in many of them.
The people I have certified have encountered things in their own families stemming from this. One student's mother asked him why he was doing this. "Our people don't do stuff like this in the water." was what she told him. Another's friends could not believe he was doing it and in fact, because of racist policies in the area when he was growing up, he didn't learn to swim until he was 61.
I was asked to be an adviser for the National Association of Black Scuba Diver's STEM program for their youth program. They have been around for decades. Highly advise you to get on Facebook and reach out to them. They have instructors from every agency that are located around the country.

Where in SC? It's likely we have a SB member in the region who can recommend a shop.

Welcome RB! I am a newbie myself in diving & on the forum, but people have been great everywhere.

I love to watch dive videos on YouTube, like the History of Diving Museum and read over the plethora of educational posts available on this forum.

Where in SC? It's likely we have a SB member in the region who can recommend a shop.
Yeah...you don't have to give your exact location, but you can't get an answer to your question without a general location. Like if you're in north SC you would be diving in Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee. There are 2 fine instructors in that area (that I know of) and probably more. One of them owns a shop with dive boats @ the lake and has access to a Y pool.

Welcome to the board and scuba diving. I live in Spartanburg, SC, feel free to PM me.

As a whole we are probably no better or worse than any other random group.
As for me, I'd like to say: "Come on in, the water's fine".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom