Hi from East Bay Area, California!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings, fellow scuba obsessives. I got certified just about a year ago, at Breakwater in Monterey, where I've done the majority of my dives. I feel like there is always something neat to see, especially the kelp. I have Advanced Open Water, and plan to take Rescue as soon as it is offered at my local shop, Dive 'N Trips. No interest in being responsible for other people, just want to have the skills in case.
I tend to be a conservative diver, partially because I get seasick without a scoplamine patch. Albert, my main dive buddy, is awesome, thanks a million to him. Finally got the last of my own gear before Christmas, so I am ready to tackle all the great shore sites down in Monterey that are listed in Bruce Watkins' book. I also have a couple boat dives booked in Puerto Rico, off Desecho Island and Fajardo. Currently planning a trip to Catalina over President's Day weekend! See you all under the water.

Welcome to scuba board from another Bay Area diver. I'm a Divemaster so you'll always find me working in Monterey Bay so if you and Albert need another dive buddy or a tour of some of our amazing dive sites just message me. Have you gone to Point Lobos yet? OMG! So amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They only let a few divers in per day. You need to make a reservation and it's $30 per 2 diver teams. That's one of my favorite dive sites down there.

Dive 'N Trips is a good shop. Have they also taken you to Shadow Cliffs? Pretty darn boring compared to Monterey Bay but at least the water is oh so nice and warm. :)

Welcome again and have fun divin'!

~Rebecca

Welcome to scuba board from another Bay Area diver. I'm a Divemaster so you'll always find me working in Monterey Bay so if you and Albert need another dive buddy or a tour of some of our amazing dive sites just message me. Have you gone to Point Lobos yet? OMG! So amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They only let a few divers in per day. You need to make a reservation and it's $30 per 2 diver teams. That's one of my favorite dive sites down there.

Dive 'N Trips is a good shop. Have they also taken you to Shadow Cliffs? Pretty darn boring compared to Monterey Bay but at least the water is oh so nice and warm. :)

Welcome again and have fun divin'!

~Rebecca
Thanks, Rebecca! Point Lobos is on my list, it's hard to justify the effort when there are so many other places I haven't gone to that don't require reservations when the conditions could be lousy. But everyone raves about it, so I will go eventually.
Shadow Cliffs was where I did dives 1 and 2, though I really wish we hadn't done it that way because I was in my 7mm when it was 104. Just about passed out from the heat. It's a much more pleasant experience with appropriate exposure protection.
Do you have a swell forecast you like? I've been using Monterey Bay Swell Forecasts but could always use more resources.

Hi,
Yes I do have a favorite swell forecast.
Enjoy -> CDIP recent forecast fm_mon_xxx

Point Lobos is worth the expense. It's so amazing. Whaler's Cove is breathtakingly beautiful and leaving Whaler's Cove and heading to the sand channel then following the wall on the left you have the hole in the wall then at the end at around 80 feet there's the "Lone Metridium." It's so beautiful because it's an MPA and the fish are huge because there's no fishing.

First time I dove Shadow Cliffs I was in my Semi-dry wetsuit. I thought I was gonna die of heat stroke. LOL! I was pulling off my gloves, pulling off the hood, and opening the zipper a bit to get new water in. The next time I was there I had my 5mm and another time my 3mm. Yeah, it's really hot in the summer compared to the Pacific ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom