Hi everyone from cold Indiana!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
Better than the ocean? Well...the ocean is a big place...I guess that depends on where in the ocean we're talking about... :wink:

But the diving is pretty good...and vis is much better than it was when your father-in-law was diving it, assuming he hasn't dove it in the last 10 years or so...

I wouldn't take that bet about it not being colder than your dives, depending on when you go. However, in mid-to-late summer, the water temps reach into the high 60's or low 70's, quite nice in a 7mm suit. I don't dive dry yet, so that's when I go.

Always up for a new buddy. Look forward to hearing from ya'. :)

Been to Lake Michigan several times, even in the summer when the surface temp is near 80 the temp near 80-110 feet is around 46.

Can we talk in metres and degreees celcius please....all this conversion maths is making my head hurt"!"!

Meister481:
Been to Lake Michigan several times, even in the summer when the surface temp is near 80 the temp near 80-110 feet is around 46.

True...but not all of the wrecks in Lake Michigan are at 80-110... :p

For a new diver, I would recommend the Holley Barge/Illinois Dredge, Tacoma, Flora M. Hill, Material Service Barge, Wells Burt....about the deepest any of these go is around 45 ft. Mid summer, the temps at depth are in the high 50's.

With a few dives under her belt, I might recommend the Prins Wilhelm, Wisconsin Car Ferry, or Milwaukee. These wrecks are at the depths (and temps) you are talking about.

gangrel441:
True...but not all of the wrecks in Lake Michigan are at 80-110... :p

For a new diver, I would recommend the Holley Barge/Illinois Dredge, Tacoma, Flora M. Hill, Material Service Barge, Wells Burt....about the deepest any of these go is around 45 ft. Mid summer, the temps at depth are in the high 50's.

With a few dives under her belt, I might recommend the Prins Wilhelm, Wisconsin Car Ferry, or Milwaukee. These wrecks are at the depths (and temps) you are talking about.

Okay, well, why don't you and meister481 get together and plan some dives for me and tell me where to be and when! Sounds like you both know what you're talking about! My father in law quit diving in the late 70's but he knows alot about where things are up there too. I probably won't have a drysuit for a while, but 46 F didn't really bother me, so I think I could do it. Looking forward to all kinds of experiences!:D

PePaw:
Glad you enjoyed dives 1-2 !
Too cold for me and then theres the issue of "shrinkage".

Have fun completing your dives. I'm an old geezer so a word of caution...
keep your wits about you with these guys !

I can handle em!:wink:

Diving Doc:
Can we talk in metres and degreees celcius please....
Nope! But stick around. :14:

When I travel out of the US, I often take a couple of F&C thermometers and put them up - maybe one outside of my room and one by the dive shop. Meters & Liters I can approximate to similar to Yards & Quarts, but the centigrade conversion does take some juggling. See below..

party-smiley-050.gif
Jeepchick, I hope your next day of diving is as much fun as the first, your enthusiasm continues on thru additional training and real world experiences, and you'll continue to report for us..!!

05707sm.gif

jeepchick:
Okay, well, why don't you and meister481 get together and plan some dives for me and tell me where to be and when! Sounds like you both know what you're talking about! My father in law quit diving in the late 70's but he knows alot about where things are up there too. I probably won't have a drysuit for a while, but 46 F didn't really bother me, so I think I could do it. Looking forward to all kinds of experiences!:D

Easy enough. When you go out on a charter, you go where the charter goes. If your charter goes out of Gary or East Chicago, any wreck you hit will be in 50 ft or less. If you go up to Winthrop or Racine or Milwaukee, most wrecks will be in close to or over 100 ft. Drop me a line when you feel ready to do your first lake dives, and I will see what's available. :wink:

DandyDon:
Nope! But stick around. :14:

When I travel out of the US, I often take a couple of F&C thermometers and put them up - maybe one outside of my room and one by the dive shop. Meters & Liters I can approximate to similar to Yards & Quarts, but the centigrade conversion does take some juggling. See below..

party-smiley-050.gif
Jeepchick, I hope your next day of diving is as much fun as the first, your enthusiasm continues on thru additional training and real world experiences, and you'll continue to report for us..!!

05707sm.gif

you must have one hell of a baggage allowance

gangrel441:
Easy enough. When you go out on a charter, you go where the charter goes. If your charter goes out of Gary or East Chicago, any wreck you hit will be in 50 ft or less. If you go up to Winthrop or Racine or Milwaukee, most wrecks will be in close to or over 100 ft. Drop me a line when you feel ready to do your first lake dives, and I will see what's available. :wink:

Gary or East Chicago?:confused: I'd rather take my chances diving with a stranger in the 100ft waters myself! It would probably be safer!

Jeepchick my girl. Have you seen what Dandy accused me of.......confusing you with indygirl. Im so hurt i think we should boycott him!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom