Hi Divers: Sharkgirl here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I am Christine Ward-Paige. I have been diving since the early 90's- when I was 15 years old. I got certified with my dad and brother, which makes for really nice memories except that I had a horrible introduction to diving- my first open water dive test took place on April 1st, the first day the ice broke in one section of a lake during a blizzard in Ontario- protected by a very thin 5mil wetsuit....given this very painful introduction its amazing that I got back in the water and have now logged over 500 dives in cold and warm water- and I still have not put on a drysuit!

Anyway, here I am sitting at a computer at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada working on my PhD dissertation. Believe it or not I study global shark populations from this desk. I may not do as much diving as I'd like, but I do get to live vicariously through you. You see, my thesis project is to estimate global shark populations from divers. I am trying to get EVERY diver/snorkeler that dives in the ocean to fill out my survey- even those of you that have never seen a shark (which would be many of you I suspect given the current status of shark populations!). I am also trying to show that divers can provide essential information about what is going on in the ocean. To date, most of the fish trends that scientists use, come from fishermen, but fisher's cannot provide information where fishing is prohibited- ideal places for divers!

So, I am happy to be part of this scubaboard forum, and I look forward to hearing aobut all of your diving adventures.

-Christine:wink:

Will you be using a survey of your own design, or REEF project data like you did with the yellow stingrays?

Either way, welcome to Scubaboard, and keep up the good work. :)

Welcome to the ScubaBoard! I hope your PHd Dis. provides some information that will eventually make a diffenrence in the ever dwindling shark population. If we could just get folks from thinking they need to eat sharkfin soup we could double the population!

Welcome to Scuba Board!

Christine... welcome to SB, but how did you find time to dive in cyberspace while working on your dissertation! Been there myself. Good luck with your research and diving and welcome to the community.

WELCOME! I will be happy to take your survey! I am happy to help you on this subject any way I can!

Please feel free to email or PM me!

Carolyn:D

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom