Hey from Mobile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HK182

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a student here at USA, and a scuba/freediver. Just thought I'd say hi. Bty, where is the best spot to get into the water at the jetties to get some flounder? east or west side by the seawall? thanks

I think at the base of the AL Point jetties on the east (inside) side where there is a small beach. Walk to it, look around and you'll see how you can drive close and park. Dive about an hour before high tide and use a flag.

Welcome to ScubaBoard HK182,

I'm pretty sure he meant west side.

There isn't a wall on the east side and there isn't really much to the jetties on that side either, unless you swim halfway out to that rock island thing.

If you're diving the inside, definately do it at slack tide. You can dive the outside of the jetties on the west side during any period of time, just be carefull around the point where the current becomes an issue again. Its also shallow on the outside(15-20').

Pick up a spearfishing liscense, they are only $6.

I'm in Loxley, if you ever need a buddy, lemme know. I do lots of shore dives, salt and fresh water.

Hi ya and welcome from Decatur

HK182:
hey thanks guys, and where can I get a spearfishing liscense?

Marine Fisheries Office in Daphin Island or in Gulf Shores. I believe you can send off money by mail for one now as well. Might wanna do a search online for that. You'll need a valid drivers liscense and $6, maybe a bit more by mail?

The office in Gulf Shores is southeast of the airport.

do you have to have a special license for spearfishing in Alabama? or just a regular saltwater fishing license?

(I think in Alabama for at least freshwater fishing, the license is actually a rod/reel or artificial bait license, so I wasn't sure. you can fish with just a pole & live bait in the county you live in w/o a license (freshwater) )

I found this http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/spearfsh.pdf
but it says that you have to have a license for "spearing of commericial or
non game fish". How does that apply to recreational?

just curious...

-Mike

You have to have a spearfishing liscense to spearfish in AL saltwaters. You aren't allowed to spearfish in AL freshwater at all. If you get caught with a pole or gun, you are expected to have a spearfishing liscense whether you have fish or not.

Its a totally different liscense than the saltwater fishing liscense(which is all you need in FL).

SuPrBuGmAn:
Welcome to ScubaBoard HK182,

I'm pretty sure he meant west side.

There isn't a wall on the east side and there isn't really much to the jetties on that side either, unless you swim halfway out to that rock island thing.

If you're diving the inside, definately do it at slack tide. You can dive the outside of the jetties on the west side during any period of time, just be carefull around the point where the current becomes an issue again. Its also shallow on the outside(15-20').

I'm in Loxley, if you ever need a buddy, lemme know. I do lots of shore dives, salt and fresh water.
Coincidentally, I just joined this board and was looking to do some snorkeling (I'm new to any diving in this area) and was told by someone to try snorkeling at Alabama Point. Can you give me a little better description of where to go in? I'll be heading east on Beach Blvd....before the bridge or just after?? Also, what do you know about Whiskey wreck? Good for snorkeling or just diving? Any help is appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom