Here's a hot deal to Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zag,

I have used Del Mar mostly and they are OK for a package trip deal but last year we used Alex and Alex at Blue Angel and had the best diving in Coz to date! :D

For dive sites it's hard to beat Columbia Shallow for a second dive. Palancar, Cedral, Santa Rosa, etc. are all good, but if you can swing Maricabo Deep or Baracuda they are worth it. I have never had a disappointing dive in Coz.

Food! You can't go to Coz and not eat at Santiagos my favorate place. And who can resist Prima Pasta.

Ah, the memories. Wait a minute, I'll be there this May! :wink:

ScubaDuke

Zag,
Have you decided who you're going to use?

We hope to dive Palancar Reef (caves/gardens), and Santa Rosa wall for sure and then we're pretty open to whatever. This being our first trip to Cozumel, we figure we can't go wrong by being flexible. It will all be a new and interesting experience to us.

Natasha, I think we are just going to dive with the Dive House for this first trip seein' as how they are right at the hotel where we are staying. I know most of the dive ops will pick you at your hotel pier/dock or whatever. I just got to thinking about how If we were to dive with a dive op that is located a few miles up the beach, we would either have to lug our gear back to the room after every outing or be dropped off at our hotel and have to trust that our gear would be cleaned and stored properly. I guess I'm just paranoid, but what with our gear being new and being high quality(meaning $$$), I would rather be there to clean and store my gear myself or at least see it done in front of me. Am I being too paranoid? In Belize, they took care of our gearing up and what not, but I was the one who actually rinsed my gear, and I took my regs back to our room and gave them a good rinsing, and I was within eyesight (usually at the bar :) ) when they stored my gear in their shop and locked it up at the end of the day after it dried, so I knew it was safe.

This first trip we are really just feeling the place out. Trying to get familiar with San Miguel and the lay of the land, and get a sense of how things are done down there. Then I figure after we are more familiar with the place we can branch out. Judging from all I've heard from you all and from other folks who have dived there, I plan on making it back there a few times. Each time we go back we can try out different dive ops and dive sites. I spoke with Tom Vyles last weekend, and on his last trip to Coz, they used the Dive House and were pleased with them. He also said they have lockers for you to lock your gear up in.

Have any of you all ever used the Dive house, and if so what did you think of them?
Also, have you ever found yourself in the situation I explained where you would have to either lug your gear back to your room or trust the dive op to clean and store it properly without you being there to see it done? If so, how did you handle it?

I do plan to roam around the city a little, though, and try as many restaurants as possible. I also want to venture out away from the downtown a little bit to kind of see how the locals live. I always like to check out the local grocery stores, shops, and neighborhoods and such when I go someplace new...I know.. I'm a freak...
I read somewhere that if you hit the grocery stores that are frequented by the locals and not the tourists, which are usually a few blocks off the main street there in San Miguel, you can find really good Chilean wine that is pretty cheap. :boozer: I wouldn't mind checking that out just to say we did it...maybe even bring a bottle back home with me. I'll have to check with customs on that one. :)

Well, Zag, if you noticed I didn't offer you the name of any dive shops. The reason is I was hoping you would come to the realization that you did come to. With only 3 nights you don't have enough time to play around down there. Use Dive House. They will be fine. I have never heard a complaint about them. As you know, you can't dive the day before you fly. This doesn't give you much time to schlep gear, and wait for boats. Go with the easiest way to get in the water. I agree with doing your own gear and not trusting anyone else with storing it. I don't think you would be ripped off down there, but why chance it?
Now as for the food store... I ALWAYS go to the local food store. I have even brought my cat home food from other countries. Save the shopping for the last day.. the day you can't dive.
Hopefully, you can get 6 dives in, in two days, but don't push yourselves. Have fun..and know you're going back. We all do!

Zag...the convenience of having a dock at or close to your hotel is a plus. It's the main reason we've stayed at LeCeica (El Cid) for so many years. Dive House is OK. Each time you go back, you can try others and develope your own preferences.

You're not paranoid! I don't trust others to clean and/or maintain my gear. We prefer to keep our gear in our room but we do occasionally leave it in storage lockers during the day between boat trips. I've never had a problem but I feel better keeping my gear close by.

Go with your plan and have a great time.

Prima's for sure, and La Choza, and don't forget to order the banannas flambe at Captain Navigator's, great show. I didn't stop at Aquario's last year and see if they still had the nurse sharks and sea turtles in the tank out back still. All the dive sites are great and I loved the new shipwreck last year. If you like tunnel dives be sure and do Punta Sur. Barracuda and San Juan reefs don't have too much traffic, but ask DM before you go about the downwellings at Barracuda and San Juan. And be sure to rent a care and drive to the windy side of the island. I love laying in a hammock at Paradise Cafe drinking a cerveza.

Have a great time! (Can I stow-a-way in your suitcase?)

Zag,
How did it go? How about a trip report?
:gorgeous:

All we did was dive, eat, and sleep,... and a little shopping on the last day. We got in 9 dives in a 48 hour period! Dive, dive, dive...can't go wrong! :) I will try to post my trip report tonite in the Mexico section of the board. Thanks again everyone for the tips. They really paid off.

All we did was dive, eat, and sleep,... and a little shopping on the last day. We got in 9 dives in a 48 hour period! Dive, dive, dive...can't go wrong! :) I will try to post my trip report tonite in the Mexico section of the board. Thanks again everyone for the tips. They really paid off.

I guess I got a little excited there. I tried to delete the 2nd one but it wouldn't let me.

Back
Top Bottom