Here's a hot deal to Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Check out the hot deals on funjet.com. $99 r/t from Dallas/FW to Coz for 4 days leaving Dec. 3rd.

If I wasn't having pinched nerve problems in my neck I'd be there in a NY minute! I still thought about just packing a back pac and hanging out for 4 days but I'm afraid I'd be miserable looking at that clear water.

Surely some of you North Texas folks can take advantage of this one.

Achu...you got space on your couch? :D

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip. I checked the funjet site after reading your post. There are some pretty good deals. I mentioned the site to Kathleen and when I wasn't lookin', she went and booked us a 4 day/3 night trip to Cozumel in January for my (our) Christmas present. After all the travel and hotel taxes are paid, it'll run us about $400 per person for airfare and hotel. Not too shabby. It'll be my first trip to Cozumel. I can hardly wait!

Zag,
Smart woman you married there! You're going to love Coz! Be sure to dive Palancar. Where are you staying?
:sunny:

Zag...glad I could help! I think you have a smart Lady there! :clapping: You're gonna love Cozumel. And don't eat all your meals at the hotel....go to town for some of the best food on Earth! :D

Let me know if you need help with a dive op or just info in general.

Zag,

Yall have a good time. Watch the Texas sized mosquitos and do be careful what you drink.

Have fun diving. Its the closest thing to flying underwater without a scooter.

Tom

Yeah. She's a keeper.
Natasha, we will be staying at Fiesta Americana. I have been scouring the board for info on Cozumel and I read somewhere that Joewr is going to be down there around the time we are going. I contacted him via email and he said they were leaving two days before we arrive. They were planning on staying a little longer, but they just sold their house so they had to cut their vacation a little short to get back for the closing. Bummer. Oh well, maybe next time.

Dee, I have been checking up on dive ops and reading reviews and whatnot. I was kinda thinking maybe Papa Hoggs, Dive Palancar, or Aldora Divers. We haven't really decided yet, although, I guess we need to settle on one and go ahead and contact them to let them know we're coming. Who do you all use when you are down there? I got the Lonely Planet Diving and Snorkelling Guide to Cozumel for Christmas (Kathleen knows me all to well :) ) so I'm reading up on the different dive sites.
We plan on not eating any of our meals at the resort. Maybe breakfast or something, but that would be about it. From all I've read, it seems the food at most of those resorts is pretty mediocre. I've been doing a little research on that topic as well. We might check out the French Quarter(Joewr's favorite), El Capi Navegante, La Mission, Pancho's Backyard, and El More, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

Tom, I'll have to chew the fat with you about your trip to Coz, if you go to Clear Springs with Mike and I tomorrow (drysuit diving, that should be interesting.. that'll be a new one for me).

I would love to get any feedback from you all about dive outfits, restaurants, dive sites, and anything else that I should check out while we are in Cozumel.

My favorite dive op is Caballito del Caribe. We've been using them for about 6 years. Papa Hog's is nice and my second choice. We were not impressed with Dive Palancar or Aldora for various reasons. Caballito's 6 pak boats allow the divers to decide where they want to go. When you contact them, tell Maribel your experience level and whether or not you want to dive with others of your same level and she'll arrange it if at all possible. They'll pick you up at any of the docks and take you anywhere.

You have a good start on restaurants. Also try Ernesto's, Pancho's Backyard, Manati, La Choza, La Parrilla and Santiago's. And don't forget Prima Pasta and get any of their seafood dishes! Prima Pasta and the French Quarter will cost you but the rest are very reasonable priced.

It's hard to pick favorite dive sites 'cause I like them all! But if I have to....Cozumel Dive Sites

The farther south you go, the more dramatic the reefs are...tall coral heads, tunnels and swim throughs, etc. You'll also see more sea turtles to the south. My favorites include anywhere on Palancar and Columbia, shallow or deep, you've always got the choice. Santa Rosa Wall is one of the true vertical walls in Coz., just follow your DM's recommendations because of the possibility of downwellings. Oh, and don't forget Cedar Pass.

If you do a night dive, get them to take you anywhere but Paradise Reef. It's right next to one of the cruise ship docks and if the current is running north, it's easy to get swept into the dock pilings. It does happen! It's also where every dive op takes everyone (we call it Night Dive Reef) so you'll likely run into more than one boatload of other divers. Because it is so heavily visited, the damage is getting to be quite extensive. Instead, ask to go to Delilah or any other shallow site. There's more than the 17 dive sites listed on that map, but that should get you started!:D

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into Caballito de Caribe. I haven't heard alot about Dive Palancar but they rated pretty well and I know they take small groups and are pretty open to taking you where you want to go. We may end up not using Aldora. They are a little more expensive, but I read they use steel 100s so you get more bottom time. When checking them out, I'd read alot of good reviews and then a bad review or two. I've read that they have had problems with their boats in the past and had problems with their steel tanks rusting out. Then I'd read great things about them, how they've updated their fleet of boats. .and I see this month's Rodales has them listed as the #1 best value for dive operators, so it's hard to say. Their two tank trips do cost quite a bit more so we may opt for someone else. We may even go out with a couple of different outfits just to get a better variety and to check out some different operations. We thought we might do a night dive. We are going to take our lites in case we decide to. Kathleen and I have never been on a night dive before; however, Lake Travis at 90 feet can get pretty close to the real deal. :) I appreciate the the advice on Paradise Reef. I'll keep that in mind. Man, I just have to say that this Scubaboard is a great thing! Keralucu and Asiandivergal just hooked my buddy up with some good info on Asian liveaboards and now you all are hooking me up with good info on Cozumel. This board rocks! Thanks again.

Zag, don't rely too heavily on Rodales surveys. If you'll notice, their heaviest travel advertisiers always seem to rank highly! :deal: Instead I'd go by the personal references you get through these message boards...you'll get a truer evaluation that way. Of course, everyone will tell you their operator/hotel is the best!!! :D

You mention bigger tanks with Aldora. If you tell Caballito's ahead of time you'd like a larger tank, they'll get it for you. Probably won't be a steel tank but Beast usually gets a 100cf alum tank with no problem. I've never had Papa Hog's or Caballito's limit my bottom time. Depending on the dive depth, it's usually not air you're worried about anyway....or are you one of those air hog Dudes? :winky: What I'm getting at is that larger tanks aren't the reason to chose Aldora.

If you can do night dives in Lake Travis, then it'll be a breeze in Coz. You'll actually be able to see stuff! :rofL: Most night dives are only 20-30ft deep and if you're lucky enough to have a full moon, you won't need no stinkin' lights!

The last couple trips over to Coz from Playa, I used Studio Blue, and was pleased. Like Dee says, down south is the best, and do Santa Rosa wall for sure. Little bit of current but HEY, less kicking for more scenery. Ya'll have a blast!

Dive safe,
tony

Back
Top Bottom