Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People can fish the Grove, Eagle, Duane and Bibb right now and it really isnt an issue. Most of the guys fishing the wrecks get there really early and take off when the dive boats come rolling in about 8:30 or 9:00. Im sure there are examples where fishermen and dive boats have had run ins, but for the most part all is peaceful. A bunch of divers blowing bubbles everywhere kinda spook fish. Even on the Duane which only sports three mooring balls fishermen are not really an issue. Besides, anyone who fishes there regularly knows those spots are very public and have a ton of pressure on them as is. Just a mile or so into the deeper water the fishing is much much better.

Ya just gotta be careful on the descent lines for hooks! Someone found a nice lure and kept it as a momento when we did the Eagle last November...

The T-bolt has some mono-filament on the port side railing ya need to watch out for. (if my memeory serves me correctly) So I'm sure that the fishing boat won't be too much of a problem if it isn't now.

I'm starting to belive this is really going to happen. I can't wait!:D

Does anyone know if we will be able to watch her pass on her way to KW? Will she be close enough to shore to see? And on which side the ocean or the bay?

Here's a long shot; anyone know the mmsi or vessel name of the tug so we can track it on AIS feeds?

Does anyone know if we will be able to watch her pass on her way to KW? Will she be close enough to shore to see? And on which side the ocean or the bay?

I don't know if she'll be close enough to see, but it'll be coming down the "oceanside" of the keys.

I don't think there are channels deep/wide enough with bridges high enough to maneuver the Vandenberg and the tow boat (and length of tow cable) though the bayside.... without going around the end of Key West, and that's kinda pointless.

I imagine that she'll be towed at least 5+ miles out to ensure she's in deeper water as that's where the vessel routes are.

Go to bigshipwrecks.com. They have a link with info on the towing and how its going. They also have constant updates from the tug about weather conditions and stuff.

That would be Elsbeth III .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Built 1998 by Captain Latham Smith, Green Cove Springs, FL
5000 HP Ocean Tug
L.O.A.: 90 ft.; Beam: 40 ft.; Molded Depth: 16 ft. with extreme sheer; 98 GRT
Three 1986 Model KTA-50 Cummins engines, rebuilt & rated 1450 hp each @ 1800 RPM continuous. Complete spare engine available.
Three ZF Gears fitted with trolling valves for continuous shaft rpm control from 0-260 rpm
Three Bird-Johnson propellers @ 87" x 83" in 82" type 37 Nozzles. Propellers turn 260 RPM on 8" shaft with John Crane seals
Bow Thruster: 100 hp

Tow winch: Almon Johnson, holding 2000' of 2 1/4" wire. Secondary winch for anchor handling or tandem tows with 1800' of 2" wire. Heavy stern roller, 6' diameter by 10' long & able to deck a 15 ton anchor
Three Gensets @ 150 kW, 80 kW & 60 kW
Hull: Heavily reinforced 1/2" plate with 15 integral tanks
Two 3000 lb. anchors each with six shots of 1 1/4" chain; windlass with capstans
One HIAB 1 ton Marine Crane
Tugger: One Gearmatic, 10 ton, 1 ton air tugger
Berthing: Eight crew
Towing range: 30 days; 60 days utility work
All vital systems in triplicate for enhanced reliability

That would be Elsbeth III .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Built 1998 by Captain Latham Smith, Green Cove Springs, FL
5000 HP Ocean Tug
L.O.A.: 90 ft.; Beam: 40 ft.; Molded Depth: 16 ft. with extreme sheer; 98 GRT
Three 1986 Model KTA-50 Cummins engines, rebuilt & rated 1450 hp each @ 1800 RPM continuous. Complete spare engine available.
Three ZF Gears fitted with trolling valves for continuous shaft rpm control from 0-260 rpm
Three Bird-Johnson propellers @ 87" x 83" in 82" type 37 Nozzles. Propellers turn 260 RPM on 8" shaft with John Crane seals
Bow Thruster: 100 hp

Tow winch: Almon Johnson, holding 2000' of 2 1/4" wire. Secondary winch for anchor handling or tandem tows with 1800' of 2" wire. Heavy stern roller, 6' diameter by 10' long & able to deck a 15 ton anchor
Three Gensets @ 150 kW, 80 kW & 60 kW
Hull: Heavily reinforced 1/2" plate with 15 integral tanks
Two 3000 lb. anchors each with six shots of 1 1/4" chain; windlass with capstans
One HIAB 1 ton Marine Crane
Tugger: One Gearmatic, 10 ton, 1 ton air tugger
Berthing: Eight crew
Towing range: 30 days; 60 days utility work
All vital systems in triplicate for enhanced reliability

My bad. Thought it was the II

Dont see it on the Marine traffic link. Ill have to find it on another one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom