Here is something I learned today about DIN plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definitely guilty of not strapping my tanks down :wink:

NB. Dive bags not loaded - scooters and other paraphernalia that doesn't fit goes in the cab

upload_2020-6-1_11-46-32.png

This is the standard loadout for our weekend dive trips each month

Been there, done that. Masking tape lasts less than a month before it hardens - Duct tape just becomes a sticky mess

But I'm not going to be defensive about delrin plugs its a personal choice.
Generic "masking tape" from the dollar bin, yes. But 3M blue masking tape is residue-free for months, even if I think they recommend removing it after two weeks. Or you can use gaff tape, much better removal characteristics than duct tape, though gaff tape is like $15 a roll.

In the "old days," scuba shops routinely covered the valve with some colored tape, usually with their logo, to indicate that they had been filled.

Wow, I had no idea that there was such Sturm and Drang over DIN plugs. Aside from an aforementioned electrolytic issue, years back, I have had no problems with the plugs, since well before the close of the twentieth century . . .

In the "old days," scuba shops routinely covered the valve with some colored tape, usually with their logo, to indicate that they had been filled.
I still do. Cheap painter's tape if the fill is air, yellow/green electrical tape if the fill is nitrox. Use the tank, remove the tape. Filled and used tanks can be identified by a short glance, as can air fills and nitrox fills. If nitrox, there's a piece of painter's tape on the tank shoulder showing the %, the room temp pressure and the fill date.

I still analyze every tank when gearing up, though. And if the analysis is outside +/- some .2-.3% points from the numbers written on the tape, I don't dive that tank.

I still analyze every tank when gearing up, though. And if the analysis is outside +/- some .2-.3% points from the numbers written on the tape, I don't dive that tank.

Why not dive it with the new info? No prejudice in the question. Just curious about your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom