Here is a report that everyone should read!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, where are you guys diving, the Galapagos? LOL

Okay I have visited Coz several times at various times of year, so I will give you the fact that the currents on a dive can get crazy sometimes so you have no choice but to enjoy the ride. But currents can change every minute, sometimes several times in one dive--currents vary according to site, day, time of year, weather patterns, Aquarius rising in the moon's cycle.....LOL

But anyone who dives a few days in Coz knows all this, and also the fact that sometimes there is no current at all! When I went in November, the currents were practically nil the whole week except on 2 dives. When I went in April, the currents were a little more erratic but certainly nothing unmanageable. It all just depends.....

Everyone has the same advice: When you end up in a current, depending on how fast it is, just turn around and kick lightly to maintain your position. If the current is too fast and you're working too hard, give it up and wait until the current slows down--they do that, too. Or wait until the next dive--the currents WILL be different from site to site.

The main point is to enjoy each and every dive for what it is--go into it with no expectations, take your time, really look for the little stuff while still keeping an eye on the blue for the big stuff and don't fight the current! I can't tell you how many times I've seen people kicking along with the current--they speed through a dive in 15 minutes! What a waste.....when you think about the fact that everything down there is alive, just think of everything you're missing. Get the ID books, too--my enjoyment of diving increased tenfold once I knew what I was looking at! Keep in mind, you see these things in pictures that people post--nudibranchs, blennies, etc. But they are MUCH smaller in real life, so you have to know what you're looking for if you want to find it.

I've done over 1/2 of my almost 200 dives in Cozumel and count every minute until my next trip.....DSAO, ya'll. :)

Hmmm...it sounds like some of you would benefit from a buoyancy course and a drift diving course.

Tip one, you do not need to kick much when diving in a current...if you do, then you will miss alot and you will speed through what would otherwise be a very relaxing slow dive where you only cover a portion of the reef. I do understand this though, as I see groups zoom by us all of the time. Slow down and you will get much more out of Cozumel diving.

Diving in a current doesn't mean that you have to be moving forward the entire dive. If you dive that way, then certainly you are going to miss alot. Of course there are some dives that are "fly-by" dives, but most of them here are not.

Alot of it has to do with the DM as well. Some DM's just want to get you down, do a 40 minute dive and get through it. Others truly love what they do and slow the group down and take time to point things out. Of course even they have days with "eagle eyes" and other days where they can't find anything...but the latter is rare in a good DM.

Okay that does it! You're obviously encouraging my addiction to Coz and I'm certain there must be a law against this. Please expect a call from my lawyer as I have posted subtle warnings in previous threads to no avail! We may be able to settle this out of court... I believe that the following is fair compensation;
1) Defendant must install an engraved name placque over the starboard bench on
Bandida II closest to the stern signifying that this is plaintiffs' permanent
seat assignment.
2) Defendant must insure that this seat will always be available for plaintiffs' personal
useage.
3) Failure to comply with the above will result in a shore dive penalty in which you,
Christi Courtney, will be required to accompany plaintiff on shore dives of plaintiffs'
choice at whatever times plaintiff chooses. This may include dives after normal
business hours at any hour of the day or night.

I sincerely hope that you will find the terms of compensation acceptable so that further legal action is not warranted!!!!! I await your response :D

Divingnthedark:
Okay that does it! You're obviously encouraging my addiction to Coz and I'm certain there must be a law against this. Please expect a call from my lawyer as I have posted subtle warnings in previous threads to no avail! We may be able to settle this out of court... I believe that the following is fair compensation;
1) Defendant must install an engraved name placque over the starboard bench on
Bandida II closest to the stern signifying that this is plaintiffs' permanent
seat assignment.
2) Defendant must insure that this seat will always be available for plaintiffs' personal
useage.
3) Failure to comply with the above will result in a shore dive penalty in which you,
Christi Courtney, will be required to accompany plaintiff on shore dives of plaintiffs'
choice at whatever times plaintiff chooses. This may include dives after normal
business hours at any hour of the day or night.

I sincerely hope that you will find the terms of compensation acceptable so that further legal action is not warranted!!!!! I await your response :D

LMAO!!!!!!! Yes m'am!

Some of you have asked about the "little stuff" that I photographed in Cozumel. No, I don't grab the reef - I have been known to put a finger down on a bare patch for a little stability, but as someone said, I love the place too much to touch the reef.

Most of my macro images were taken in front of Scuba Club Cozumel on shore dives. The current normally runs from the south to the north, but can get screwy. Many times, the current is quite mild or non-existant and it's very easy to stay in one place on the sand. Also, on a shore dive, there isn't any DM or group to keep up with; you can stay as long as you want and take many, many pictures of one subject - something you can't do on a guided boat dive on the reef.

We stayed at SCC for two-weeks and I did thirteen shore dives averaging an hour and a half (the water's only 22 feet deep). I took lots of pictures and saw many little critters.

As Christi pointed out, on drift dives, don't kick; let the current carry you along - gives you more time to see stuff, lower air consumption, and longer dives. Look for operators and DMs who don't rush you through the dive. Find DMs that like to dive and will find and point out the little stuff to you. If there is any critter you want to see, make sure to tall the DM and he/she will do their best to find it for you. Go back to Cozumel, again and again! Every time I think I've seen it all, there are little surprises like the pipehorse. It's a great place.

PS, Is this a class action lawsuit that I can join?

Divingnthedark:
Okay that does it! You're obviously encouraging my addiction to Coz and I'm certain there must be a law against this.

God, we were just thinking the same thing. It has been since March that we have been down and I have to admit that we are really going through withdrawals. The dive report and pictures are great... but damn we miss it all the more.

Need to figure out when we can sneak away for a long weekend.

H20Bubbles:
God, we were just thinking the same thing. It has been since March that we have been down and I have to admit that we are really going through withdrawals. The dive report and pictures are great... but damn we miss it all the more.
Need to figure out when we can sneak away for a long weekend.
Yup, I see you're addicted too :D

jlyle - I just read your report. Amazing photos! The egg hatching shots were simply unbelievable. Thank you for taking the time to post an impressive report.

Christi - Thanks for posting the link. Now I'm actually frothing at the mouth!

Back
Top Bottom