Henderson insta-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZDesertDiver:
I read that the Aqua-suede wetsuit is suppose to dry "instantly" as well, so what's the difference between these two suits and which is better, i.e. strechiness, warmth, drying ability?
Thanks for the info.

The only part of an aqua-suede than makes it any different from a hyperstretch is the chest panel. It's just a different chest that doesn't stretch as much, and doesn't snag on velcro as much, and maybe dries a bit faster... but it's still basically about the same as a hyperstretch. We have a few, but people seem to like the hyperstretch much better so that's what we stock the most of. I'll be interested to see impressions when the insta dry gets here.

I didn't know that dealers had not received any suits yet.

Joe P. at Henderson sent me a 3mm full to demo and write a review for Spearfishing Magazine.
I went out for a rather nasty day in a fast 32' openfish, wore the suit all day. It shed water real fast just like windsurfing suits. Made 3 dives with it.
I'll have to take a few pics, but we didn't get any fish to be proud of that day since it was too rough to get way out.

I also have 3mm Gold Seal and 7/5mm Hyperstretch suits from Henderson.
Nice suits.

Chad
www.mobilescuba.com

I got to touch (not wear) a sample suit at our LDS. Seems real nice. My only concern is that it comes in an awkward-sized travel box that won't fit easily in my travel bag (an old StahlSac), unless I put it on a centered diagonal and try to work my other stuff around it. That precious center of my bag is where I'm used to packing (and padding) my reg and mask inside my BC. The LDS said the Henderson rep cautioned against packing the suit any way except in the supplied box. Seems they might be concerned about it getting folded or creased or compressed by anything other than water pressure. I'll have to think on this one.

Just wait. I think other suit makers will offer quick dring suits in the very near future. I notice Body Glove has a suit they call "Matrix" which they claim will shed water and dry quickly too.
Although I've not yet seen a "matrix" being worn by a diver. Where I live (So. Cal) B..G. is by far the dominent suit maker and is worn by a slight majority of local divers and surfers. I've only seen a small handful of Hendersons in use.

"Instant dry" is nothing new
If I dig out my 20 year old shorty suit. It is made of a very stiff kind of 1/4 inch (they didn't use millimeters back then) unfaced neoprene. Because there is no nylon over the rubber the water just runs off and it dries instantly. So go and get a cheap suit made in the 70's or 80's. I think I paid about $40 for it back then.

The "pod" that the Insta-dry suit ships in is primarily a storage device. It comes with a wide suit hanger, a chameze-like drying towel and the pod itself.

I just took it as it shipped on board the boat and put all my dry clothes in the pod when I suited up. Although not specifically a dry bag, the pod kept everything real dry in a 32' Donzi open-fisherman for an all day 60 mile rough water trip. You can also hang your suit in the pod, but I hung it full length with all my other suits on my suit rack, which is still the best thing to do for any wetsuit.

The suit I have is still just a prototype, but it stretches more than a gold seal, which is no stiff suit, but less than a Hyperstretch. I have one of each. Inside the suit is a "black gold" non fabric supercomposite lining, very much like the gold seal, that keeps the minimum possible water layer on your skin. Gold seal suits have a lining on the exterior which does not shed the water that the Insta-dry does.

Unfortunately our water is now down around 60 degrees, so I will have to switch to my 7/5 Hyperstretch for this weekends diving. I might be diving it again soon on the Florida East coast, where it's about 73 degrees.

The next Spearfishing Magazine will have my full review of the new Insta-dry suit.
www.spearfishingmagazine.com

This is not your old "Skin Diver" sharkskin suit!

Chad

Have anyone finally used it and would like to share his opinions with us?

gregg1954:
Anyone have a price on these suits yet?

I was in my LSD the other week and they told me the Henderson Rep said they were going to be around $500 (MSRP). Of course most "good" dive shops sell things at comptetitive prices. I also imagine they'll be a little cheaper once they hit the market and also after competitive pricing starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom