Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I installed the disc and spent most of last night deleting all the files and folders it transfered to manage pictures and documents already in the system. I still can't download any pics. Whenever I click on the Digital Camera Software CD it only lets me download other options, none of which is download pics from a camera. I tried using both a USB cable and using the card in my camera......neither will recognize a device or allow me to download new pictures. I have Windows XP, but didn't have a problem using other cameras prior to this. :idk:

This is a bit confusing to me. What files and folders did you delete, that the disc transfered?

I am thinking you may wish to try going to your control panel and uninstalling the entire SeaLife program you installed, and then restart the computer. After that try simply turning on the camera, first, and then hooking up the USB. XP should then find the files in this new drive (which just happens to be your camera), and ask you what you wish to do with them.

XP should then find the files in this new drive (which just happens to be your camera), and ask you what you wish to do with them.
I have seen that fail often really, no pop-up, and some will change settings to Auto run one selection on the menu. Eh, I've seen lots of glitches, many of which I caused myself. :silly:

If the camera cannot be found at any icon on My Computer, then I think it is a computer or connection issue. Might be a bad cable? I guess most XPs are out of warranty by now, even extended warranties, altho some have been sold in the last year. Karl at Sealife is wonderful at helping customers over the phone.

The easiest solution is a card reader, and while waiting for the cheap ones I suggested, most Walmarts sells them 24/7. Models vary with stores. Make sure they are rated for SDHC cards as some old readers that will not read 4 Gb cards or larger might be on a shelf somewhere.

Attachments

• my computer.jpg
    my computer.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 54
  • my computer 2.jpg
    my computer 2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 45
Ok I don't know what Ghost (E) is or DATA (D), but what happens if you double click Digital Camera (F)?

Or if you Right click and select from that menu?

This is a bit confusing to me. What files and folders did you delete, that the disc transfered?

I am thinking you may wish to try going to your control panel and uninstalling the entire SeaLife program you installed, and then restart the computer. After that try simply turning on the camera, first, and then hooking up the USB. XP should then find the files in this new drive (which just happens to be your camera), and ask you what you wish to do with them.
All my files and pictures that were saved previously (both C and D drives), along with Word docs. It was a pain in the neck trying to delete the stuff I didn't need anymore. I tried the hooking up of the USB cable and setting the camera the way the instruction booklet says, but no new drive shows up, either as a pop up or a new drive under My Computer.
Ok I don't know what Ghost (E) is or DATA (D), but what happens if you double click Digital Camera (F)?

Or if you Right click and select from that menu?

Ghost (E) is a backup that an old flame installed (it separated my computer into three drives) in case my computer crashed it could be restored. Dumb idea, since we've been split up for over 2 years. :shakehead: Data (D) is another third of the computer break-down to store pics and docs without going directly to the hard drive. It's supposed to keep memory longer and not fill up the hard drive as quickly as the C drive. When I click on Digital Camera F I get a blank screen or the DC installation CD.

Uh, take the CD out of the machine and try D again ok?

Data is a shared folder - see the hand underneath the drive icon?
Ghost is Norton's Ghost disk recovery backup directory.
Your camera is the DigitalCam F: Icon

On the CD menu:

Media One Gallery on the Sealife CD is the picture viewer program. It may also have some import functions - IDK.
Panorama Maker makes those.

What you want to install is the PC-Cam Driver - that's probably what's needed to allow your computer to recognize the camera. So do that now.

Sealife details a very specific process for downloading pictures with their cameras.

These are the steps for yours - (p. 47 in your owners manual):

Downloading Your Files

1. Connect one end of the USB cable to an
available USB port on your computer.
2. Connect the other end of the USB cable
to the USB terminal on the camera.
3. Turn on your camera.
4. Select [PC] using the  /  buttons and
press the SET button.
5. From the Windows desktop, double click
on “My Computer”.
6. Look for a new “removable disk” icon.
 This “removable disk” is actually the memory (or memory card) in
your camera. Typically, the camera will be assigned drive letter “e” or
higher.
7. Double click on the removable disk and locate the DCIM folder.
8. Double click on the DCIM folder to open it to find more folders.
 Your recorded images and video clips will be inside these folders.
9. Copy & Paste or Drag-N-Drop image and video files to a folder on your
computer.
They also recommend getting a card reader instead of doing this. ^ as it will be faster.

This might also be related to your problem. I found it on the SeaLife Service Center website - specific to your camera: http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/dc800support.html#question3

3. Fatal Error with Windows XP and Vista when connecting camera to computer.

We are aware of a few cases where a computer experiences a Fatal Error (Blue Screen) when downloading PC CAM Driver and connecting camera to computer USB with Microsoft XP (Service Pack 2 and 3) and Vista. This is a bug in Microsoft's USB controller drivers. Microsoft acknowledges a problem and has developed a solution. Although Microsoft states that this is only a problem with PC computers using the AMD chipset, we have seen this problem with Intel chipsets and the solution that Microsoft offers does appear to fix the problem.

If you experience this problem after downloading the PC CAM driver, go to the Microsoft Support website (Link: You may experience severe video degradation and a Stop error when you connect a USB Webcam to a Windows XP-based computer) and follow the instructions. In order to get the "hotfix" file, you have to click the "View and request hotfix downloads" at the top of the page. That will bring you to a form where you specify your email address and fill in a CAPTCHA. They will email you a link where you can download the file, and a password that you can use to unzip the file (the zip file is password protected). After unzipping the file, you run it, and it will update your USB Controller drivers. After that, you need to reboot. Once rebooting, the fix worked for us - No crashes after multiple connections to the camera, and we were able to plug in other USB devices without it crashing too.

Once the above solution is applied, and the problem is resolved, DO NOT attempt to reinstall the PC CAM driver to your computer. SeaLife cameras DO NOT require a driver to automatically connect to Microsoft or Apple computers.

If there is any way we can provide further assistance with this issue, please contact your local authorized SeaLife dealer or the distributor/service center in your country for repair service.

All my files and pictures that were saved previously (both C and D drives), along with Word docs. It was a pain in the neck trying to delete the stuff I didn't need anymore. I tried the hooking up of the USB cable and setting the camera the way the instruction booklet says, but no new drive shows up, either as a pop up or a new drive under My Computer.

Ghost (E) is a backup that an old flame installed (it separated my computer into three drives) in case my computer crashed it could be restored. Dumb idea, since we've been split up for over 2 years. :shakehead: Data (D) is another third of the computer break-down to store pics and docs without going directly to the hard drive. It's supposed to keep memory longer and not fill up the hard drive as quickly as the C drive. When I click on Digital Camera F I get a blank screen or the DC installation CD.

It sounds like all the old flame did was partition your hard drive, so everything is still kept on that hard drive, but in different areas. I added a simple external hard drive, through a USB cable, to expand storage for pictures, etc. that worked better than the partitioning, which I have since removed. Another Walmart item.

It does sound, as Don indicated like you still have the SeaLife install CD in the computer's disc drive? Once the program was installed you should not need it there again, unless you are trying to re-install portions of the program.

If nothing else works I would still suggest going in to your Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs, and then remove the SeaLife program. After restarting the computer, to complete the removal, then try turning the camera on, and attaching the USB cable to the computer. (You can always easily reinstall the programs from the CD later, if you wish. Sometimes simply reinstalling a program resolves issues, all by itself.)

When you click on My Computer the camera should be on the menu as a drive (maybe not by name). Right click on each drive displayed there, and then Explore them.

Again, as Don indicated if the cable or the connection is not bad. If the cable or connection is bad, of course none of this will occur, and removing the memory card, and reading it directly with a card reader would be possible. I have not ever had to do this, but it is an option.

Back
Top Bottom