help with the regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveAK

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, im trying to decide on which regulator to get:

Aqualung Legend/Legend LX

Apeks ATX100/ATX50/ATX40

Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX
Zeagle Flathead XP/ZX
Zeagle 50D/ZX
Zeagle DS-IV/ ZX

If anyone can give me any help on choosing, that would be great. I need one that is environmentally sealed, and unless I read wrong, all of these are. Thanks for the help.

I don't know either regulator but, look at the amount of air passage. The inside Diameter of the hoses ect. If You dive in Ice water then check out if the reg. can handle the Coldest of conditions. Adjustments are handy for ease of breathing. External Adjustments are what I mean.
Go to the Regulator Doctor (repairmen) and ask about the frequency of repair. Some Regulators have a problem with the air being turned on too fast and the inner plunger will bend when a high pressure is slammed into them. The Regulator repairman will know of these problems. The "Pro-Sub" which is a manufacturer like Zeagle is, makes regulators with these problems. There are more with the same or different problems like this but, I am not sure and don't want to be quoted. Bill

ATX50. That is the best one that Tech divers use.

I have 3 of the Zeagle DS IV/ZX with ZX Octo's too. Dive them in 40 degree murky water at 120ft regularly. Guess I like them. BTW, the ATX 50 is a great reg as well, but more expensive and no better than the Zeagle. It's also not US made.

You will get 10 different replies from 10 different people. I suggest that you tell us what kind of diving you plan on doing, what your experience is, what climate you plan to dive, and what you are looking to spend.

And do a search, my friend :) I know you have already narrowed it down to these, but this is still a broad list. This list looks like your LDS stocks Aqualung/Apeks and Zeagle. Both are good, but different. You will find several threads here on each of these regulators. That will give you better information than asking us. We all are biased, in some way.

Speaking of being biased, I like the Apeks ATX 50. Good performing reg, not nearly as costly as the ATX 100.

BTW, welcome to scubaboard.

Happy hunting, and we will always be here to answer your questions,
Mike

Ok, I did some more research and narrowed it down to the Legend or the ATX100. The ATX100 is actually a little cheaper on Leisurepro than the ATX50. I really like the design of the first stage of the ATX100, so I think im gonna go with that. If anyone knows of a better deal on that ATX100 (375 on LP) let me know. Thanks
BTW- Ill be diving everywhere, murkey, deep, cold (ice) on my next trip home to AK, salt, fresh. And I want something to last me awhile.

diveAK:
Ok, I did some more research and narrowed it down to the Legend or the ATX100. The ATX100 is actually a little cheaper on Leisurepro than the ATX50. I really like the design of the first stage of the ATX100, so I think im gonna go with that. If anyone knows of a better deal on that ATX100 (375 on LP) let me know. Thanks
BTW- Ill be diving everywhere, murkey, deep, cold (ice) on my next trip home to AK, salt, fresh. And I want something to last me awhile.

If this means you're buying online then I suggest your next step is identifying the nearest servicing dealer for your choice and making sure they will service it. You can probably get them to work on it but plan to be at the end of the line behind their carriage trade customers and don't expect local warranty coverage.

Pete

diveAK:

You might want to search in the forums here about buying online, especially from leisurepro. I really shouldn't talk, as I just placed an order with them this morning. There have been tons of threads about buying online. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you should really know what you're getting into, especially when buying regs. Things like warranty and service are important issues to me. YMMV. If you've already done that, and are prepared for what you're getting into, then disregard this post.

Mike

I'm in the same boat and the LDS has also highly recommended the ScubaPro MK25/X650 combo "as the best breather out there". I did have one diver tell me he used one and hated it as it felt like it dragged on his mouth. I'll be keeping an eye on the postings as I want to make the best choice also.

AK

Back
Top Bottom