Help with the knees please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy:
I'm surprised that nobody has brought up this before (or is aware of it), but my advice is ditch the Elliptical trainer. We know them as the "Silent Knee Wreckers" of gyms. People get a false sense of security when they're sold-out the non-impact nonsense. For an elliptical machine to be safer, the rails of the guided motion should be pointed at an angle that accomodates the angled insertion of the femur into hip, but I haven't seen one that complies with this.

You're forced into a parallel stance, which is worsened if the foot pads are narrow. This puts your knees at an ackward angle, which create an overuse injure little by little. People don't suspect this since they believe they're safe because they're training with "no impact"

Second, check your running mechanics. If you're a heavy heel-to-toe runner, that explains a lot. I would wean myself out of the treadmill if I were you. Walking/Running on the treadmill and doing it outside, are two ENTIRELY different activities, though they look similar (the neuromuscular patterns generated to accomplish those activities look nothing alike) (Never mind, you're not a runner, confused with another post, the rest applies though)

Third, train your body to handle impact. Regardless of what your previous condition may be, most people respond well to a periodized training program to handle impact. There's absolutely nothing wrong with impact. We deal with it all the time. It's one of those aspects brought up by the gravitational force of our planet. The problem is people who by either ignorance or stubborness add high impact activities to their programs without being physically ready for it.

If you're not sure on how to put a periodized strength/power endurance program that will help you deal with impact, then hire a qualified fitness professional to guide you.

If the pain is significant, check your physician. Get well soon and good luck!

Thanks coach, Cked w/ phys and had x-rays and was told to go for PT but I would rather do it on my schedule at the gym. So you think I should add walking or jogging to my routine but on a natural surface and not the tread mill? The elliptical has a wide foot area and I angle my feet but it does not change the paralell path so I can drop that altogether and walk instead. My office is on the second floor and I run down the stairs a minimum of 10 times a day to the shop area so I may already be adding enough impact??? What do you think?

SangP:
Hi es601,
Forget long fins and stiff fins.

The fins that I found work best for me are the Yellow apollos and a large jet fin (I used to cycle and my legs still have it in them to use them well).

I would also stay away from any fin that wobbles on you as they would stress out your knees.SangP

That's an interesting idea. The rigid fins depend on your knees to keep the fin moving through the water in a single plane. If your knees aren't up to the job, a rigid fin will twist and/or attempt to move sideways.

Because of the slit in the center, a split fin should have less of tendency to do this and should be more comfortable.

I know it was for me. Before getting into software, I spent too many years doing Appliance Repairs, which involves kneeling and getting back up probably 100 times a day. My knees have been unhappy for a long time.

When diving with rigid fins, my knees are screaming after a few minutes. With splits (Twin Jets) I can dive all day and feel better than when I started.

Terry

es601:
Thanks coach, Cked w/ phys and had x-rays and was told to go for PT but I would rather do it on my schedule at the gym. So you think I should add walking or jogging to my routine but on a natural surface and not the tread mill?

For some reason, I thought you mentioned using the treadmill. I must have gotten confused with another post. Vigorous walking is an excellent activity and better if done on anything but a treadmill.

The elliptical has a wide foot area and I angle my feet but it does not change the paralell path so I can drop that altogether and walk instead.

Hire a qualified fitness professional and have him/her help you design a program of power/strength endurance that will ultimately, make it safer for you to start adding impact to your routines. Remember that you must strengthen FIRST.

My office is on the second floor and I run down the stairs a minimum of 10 times a day to the shop area so I may already be adding enough impact??? What do you think?

And that could also explain your knee issues! You're not adding some impact, you're adding TOO MUCH impact. Keep in mind that going downstairs is a lot more demanding on your body than going upstairs. Your body is accelerating with gravity, and your musculoskeletal system has to be conditioned to produce enough eccentric (negative) force to absorb the forces. If you lack strength/power endurance, your deconditioned systems will fatigue fast, shifting the load to the joints and ligaments, which they're not meant to handle excessive shearing forces. If you have "training" avoiding all impact, this is where you pay the price.

Remember, strengthen FIRST!! And when your body is conditioned enough, you may start introducing impact. Good luck and fast recovery.

Back
Top Bottom