Help with starting UW photography rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question regarding strobes was not so much directed on a comparison vs. video lights but on a strobes vs. internal flash for a beginner.

I didn't see your question, but an internal flash in UW photography should be thought of only as a way to trigger an external strobe and nothing more. They aren't strong enough to be of any benefit beyond a couple of feet if that, and the fact that they are located pretty much right beside the lens means that backscatter is going to be an issue if there is any sort of silt or plankton in the water.

So much of this sort of conversation centers on one's expectations. If you're happy with an image where you can tell what the subject is, literally anything will do. On the other hand, if you're expectation is to be able to shoot publication quality images, then that's a very different discussion. Between those two extremes, there is an infinite range of options. These days, it seems that having "Facebook-quality" is the desired outcome, and something like the TG-5 and the other p&s options mentioned here would do the job nicely.

Internal flash will work for tight macro when you really understand the light source, however a strobe/flash would be much easier to learn how to light your subjects. I echo the previous posters about a SeaLife DC2000 kit with flash or video light, or a TG-5 in Olympus housing. GoPro will not deliver great photos for beginners. Hope that helps!

Which strobe should I buy for a TG-5+Olympus housing? What else would I need (arm, etc)?

Which strobe should I buy for a TG-5+Olympus housing? What else would I need (arm, etc)?

Plenty of choice of strobes, I currently use a Sea&Sea YS110a with mine, it's old and outdated but serves the purpose.

However the video from the TG5 is superb even without lights

This was shot without lights on a deep dive to 72m using a Nauticam housing with a dome port for wide angle

Internal flash will work for tight macro when you really understand the light source, however a strobe/flash would be much easier to learn how to light your subjects.

I've found the internal strobe on my Sony RX100-V to be surprisingly useful, given clear water. I recently returned from Bali, where I shot almost exclusively with available light, but just for the heck of it tried just a couple of shots with the internal strobe. All I did is change one setting: flash off to flash on—easy! These were shot at distance of 3-5 feet. Sure, external strobe(s) would produce better results, but for quick and dirty, I'm pleased.

tailspotsquirrel.jpg
mappuffer.jpg

I've found the internal strobe on my Sony RX100-V to be surprisingly useful, given clear water. I recently returned from Bali, where I shot almost exclusively with available light, but just for the heck of it tried just a couple of shots with the internal strobe. All I did is change one setting: flash off to flash on—easy! These were shot at distance of 3-5 feet. Sure, external strobe(s) would produce better results, but for quick and dirty, I'm pleased.

View attachment 496188 View attachment 496189
Great shots peterak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom