Help with starting UW photography rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I am thinking on investing a rig to start UW photography.

I am not an experienced photographer (beyond auto mode) and until now have been just filming underwater (entry-level go pro pictures are nothing to write home about).

Any recommendations?

P.S. I would prefer something rather compact (that can hold to my BCD if needed) than a monster rig.

Something like an Olympus TG-5 is a good starter camera. Same with the Sealife ones. Get a strobe and shoot away! Biggest thing to remember is get closer than you think you need to be.

Check out wetpixel and Backscatter for good articles on underwater photography.

+1 on what JohnnyC says, another alternative to look at is the Canon G7X

As I’m sure a lot of people will tell you, it’s all down to budget really, and depends if you are an ‘i have max $xxx’ or a ‘convince me why I should spend $xxxx and I might’ you can actually get some decent photos with GoPro if you have a decent tray with gorilla stand, some ‘good’ lights ( i’d Say 2500 lumen + as entry x2) and the Backscatter macro lenses and filters. Cutting a still from macro/well lit 4K footage can produce some sexy stuff after you play around with Lightroom. Those lights/tray/filters and macro lenses can set you back a grand-ish though although there are always light sales, but if you really invest in decent lights (3600-5000 lumens +) then they will also be groovy on your bigger rig if/when you decide to take the plunge. I have the lights I initially bought for my GoPro rig on my big rig now, A lot of it also comes down to how much you dive etc, although it’s never going to really make sense financially... it’s a true passion project. Places like Backscatter and blue water etc. are good places to start research. (I’m sure you have already visited) I’d say research extensively, as I’m sure you will....if, like me, it becomes more of a ‘problem’ than a ‘hobby’ , you will be happy that you didn’t ‘underby’ initially only to realize you needed/wanted bigger and better and now those lights you dropped $600 on are mainly being used to position around wrecks to backlight photos :)......

Not sure what your budget is, but here is a pretty decent deal on a TG-5 package that will get you going immediately

Mozaik PT-058 Underwater Housing AND TG-5 Camera w/Sea and Sea YS-03 Kraken Hydra 3500

On the other hand, you might want to start a bit slower and simpler until you get used to diving and photographing at the same time, especially if you've not done a lot of either. I am a pretty experienced land photographer, but when I decided to take up underwater photography last year, I decided to keep it as simple as possible to start (I used an old Canon s110 point and shoot I had hanging around, plus a canon u/w housing that cost a bit over $200 - no strobe, just ambient light to keep it simple and small), and it's only after about 40 dives with my simple set up that I am now able to decide 1) that I want to stick with it and 2) what equipment I think will be the best for me - and am finally able to control my buoyancy while shooting.

As mentioned above there's also this

Sealife DC2000 Pro Flash Set Black buy and offers on Scubastore

My personal preference and advice would be to get a compact such as a Canon G7Xii, Sony RX100IV/V/VI and something like a Fantasea housing, these allow you great imagery with the built in flash and will allow you upgrade later and get great results - I think you'll eventually want to upgrade in a year or two from a sealife or tough camera to be honest - mine lasted all of 3 months (although I do a lot of diving).

Something like this Fantasea G7X Mark II Housing and Camera Bundle

and a little more expensive if you add the camera:

Fantasea Sony RX100 V Housing and Camera Bundle

Thanks for all the inputs.

I would not spend more than 1.000 Eur in a compact camera + housing. Investments higher than that would have to be on a more flexible camera.

How does TG-5 rank vs Go Pro 7 Black?
How relevant is a strobe for a beginner?

How does TG-5 rank vs Go Pro 7 Black?
How relevant is a strobe for a beginner?

I'm not very familiar with GoPro other than I see the results from time to time. To be blunt, you might get something, but if you're looking for an actual decent photo, the TG-5 will run circles around the GoPro. (GoPro is an awesome tool for video.)

As for strobes, there is a bit of a "movement" towards using video lights rather than strobes. Several retailers have published articles on doing just that. The ones I've read all seem to boil down to "it's a relatively idiot-proof way to shoot close up images"... and it is. Bear in mind that retailers primary job is to sell gear though. By selling you video lights now, they'll help you bag some decent shots. If your interest and skill level increases, you'll soon realize the limits of using video lights. There's a reason they're called video lights... they're for video!

Generally, strobes have a few advantages over video lights... more power, more control and the ability to "freeze" movement. They are trickier to master for sure though. But there's a reason you don't see serious shooters using video lights.

If you do get a strobe, make sure it can be moved and "directed". I strobe that's rigidly mounted near the camera will create as many problems as it solves. You need to be able to move it off the tray either by hand, or by using strobe arms.

Martin Edge's book is a fantastic, unbiased resource for beginners and experienced shooters alike. You might consider this as your first purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Photographer-Fourth-MARTIN-EDGE/dp/0240521641

I'm not very familiar with GoPro other than I see the results from time to time. To be blunt, you might get something, but if you're looking for an actual decent photo, the TG-5 will run circles around the GoPro. (GoPro is an awesome tool for video.)

As for strobes, there is a bit of a "movement" towards using video lights rather than strobes. Several retailers have published articles on doing just that. The ones I've read all seem to boil down to "it's a relatively idiot-proof way to shoot close up images"... and it is. Bear in mind that retailers primary job is to sell gear though. By selling you video lights now, they'll help you bag some decent shots. If your interest and skill level increases, you'll soon realize the limits of using video lights. There's a reason they're called video lights... they're for video!

Generally, strobes have a few advantages over video lights... more power, more control and the ability to "freeze" movement. They are trickier to master for sure though. But there's a reason you don't see serious shooters using video lights.

If you do get a strobe, make sure it can be moved and "directed". I strobe that's rigidly mounted near the camera will create as many problems as it solves. You need to be able to move it off the tray either by hand, or by using strobe arms.

Martin Edge's book is a fantastic, unbiased resource for beginners and experienced shooters alike. You might consider this as your first purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Photographer-Fourth-MARTIN-EDGE/dp/0240521641

My question regarding strobes was not so much directed on a comparison vs. video lights but on a strobes vs. internal flash for a beginner.

Thanks anyway for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom